1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anti Sieze or Locktite?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Injunfarian, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Injunfarian

Injunfarian Member

Hello I just replaced a leaky hose on my boss v and was wondering what if anything I should use on the threads...
    I did use teflon tape but did not use any locktite or anti sieze... should I have?

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If it's a tapered pipe thread, teflon only. If it's a JIC fitting you don't need anything.

3. Injunfarian

Injunfarian Member

TY, I was just curious if anyone used anti sieze or if that would be problems if mixed with hyd fluid.

4. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Per the BOSS installation manual you should use "thread sealant compound" and "do not use teflon tape"........although I will admit that before I read this I used tape while making a repair and havent had any problems.

5. Injunfarian

Injunfarian Member

Thanks for the info, after the snow we are expecting this week in my area I might swap out the teflon tape for thread sealant.

6. yard5864

yard5864 Senior Member

Teflon tape should not be used on hydraulic systems. The tape over time will fall apart and pieces can get into the system. I just had to rebuild a hydraulic pump at work last week because a piece of Teflon got sucked into the fluid and jammed into the dump valve orifice.

7. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

Same go's for fuel systems. Now, the tape holds up fine against the pressure and chemicals in hydraulic fluid for a good time. But the risk of those tiny little fragments getting into the system is just too costly. The sealant can be had at your local auto parts store for about 5 bucks. That 5 bucks should last you quite some time too. Loc-tite and Permatex make very good products for hydraulic, fuel, and atifreeze applications.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Quality hydraulic fittings should not need any Teflon either tape or paste. We have fished more then one piece of tape or clump of Teflon paste from pumps/filter/valves over the years we use nothing unless there is a weep issue. it is very rarely needed in today's units.

9. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

On those Boss hoses,the design calls for thread sealant with teflon.The trick is to NOT place any sealant on or by the very end of the male fitting to avoid any contamination.As someone already said,this is what Boss recommends.It's no different than a plumber putting sealant on any and all pipe threads.

10. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

I did not know this I use teflon tape on both of my BOSS plows and have not had a problem either.

11. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

Are you talking JIC fittings, NPT, or Both? I guess in my experience all NPT fittings need sealant eventually. Unless you've got NPTF fittings like on a fuel system.

I agree with you if you're talking about JIC.

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Why manufacturers are going to o-ring fittings.

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Most of the pipe threaded fittings on the Boss's are swivel pipe, not fixed pipe. So they're a little different than your usual pipe thread where most wish to use some type of sealant. The difference on the swivel pipe is the fact that the threads do not create the seal, the seal is created by the end of the hose fitting bottoming against the seat in the swivel (same reason it won't swivel once it's tightened).

Thus no sealant of any kind is needed. If it leaks when installed dry then one or both of the fittings is damaged or machined incorrectly.

14. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

Ok, that makes more sense. Does a swivel pipe fitting rely on the fitting material deforming/displacing to create the seal or is there an O-ring like Basher mentioned....or both?

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

On the pipe side it's the conformation of the fittings that produces the seal, no O-ring. This is why sometimes they'll seep the first time but after you back them off a touch and re-tighten them again they'll then seal. You're "lapping" the mating surfaces so to speak.

16. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

Gotcha, thanks B&B