1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anti-locks on a 2001 2500 HD

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Devonian, Dec 7, 2004.

1. Devonian

Devonian Junior Member

Hello all -- long time reader, first time poster here...don't beat me up too bad.

My truck is 4 years old with only 27K miles on it. Last year the ABS would kick on when I came to a stop on dry pavement. I could feel the pulsing on the brake pedal. I brought it to the dealer (38th month, but only 19,000 miles at that point) he hemmed and hawed and finally replaced the wheel hub sensor (or something like that) under warranty due to the low miles.

It's doing it again I understand from browsing this site that others have had this problem as well. Here's my question: Can I just disable the ABS by pulling out a fuse? I know I won't have ABS if I do that, but with the type of driving I do, I am not terribly concerned with it at this point. I don't feel like throwing a $500 sensor in this thing every year. The road salt in this area is tough on equipment.

Anyway, I appreciate any thoughts on this... :confused:
  2. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

I have a '97. Same problem with the ABS, year after year after year. The new hub design which costs some $600 bucks a side is 'suppose' to fix the sensor problem. However, I wouldn't through the money at it. ( the sensor is around $120 and then labor )

I simply have them remove, clean and silicone the sensor every so often. It stinks. I too thought about disabeling it. Heck we all drove fine 10 years ago when this ABS was rear wheel or not at all. But, I still have it.
  3. 3D Lawncare

3D Lawncare Junior Member

Most of the time the area around the sensors need to be cleaned. The junk builds up around them causing them to move on brake application. The movement of the sensors is what makes the ABS activate.
  4. Devonian

Devonian Junior Member

Thanks, I'll try to find some information on how to clean the sensors and give it a try. I refuse to pay big $$$$ year after year just to have ABS. The truck is great otherwise, I just wish it had some "Professional Grade" sensors.

I appreciate the advice.
  5. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

You'll need a HUGE socket and a HUGE leverage bar to get the rotor off to give access to the sensor.