1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anti-Icing $60 a gallon formula?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by joeblowyoursnow, Jan 12, 2015.

1. joeblowyoursnow

joeblowyoursnow Junior Member

Hi,
    First I would like to say I don't want to unlock any patents or secret formula ingredients, but what is the basic makeup in those expensive Anti-Icing mixes that will supposedly melt up to 2 inches of snow if put down before the storm? They run around $60 a gallon, unless bought in bulk.
    We are using mainly CC right now.

Any help would be appreciated and your thoughts on it.
    Thanks!!

2. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

$60 a gallon?? :popcorn::popcorn:

3. joeblowyoursnow

Yupp. I thought it contained liquid magic or something. Well it's more 1 or 2 companies that had it on their sites. Others seem around $10 a gallon.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  4. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

$60 a gallon... It better have some kind of magic lol

I think you may be a little high at $60 a gallon.

5. joeblowyoursnow

I could link if that's allowed.

But please what are the pre-mixed Anti-Icing liquids basically consisted of? Thanks!

6. BRL1

BRL1 Senior Member
    from Wyoming

If it's $60 a gallon it's probably highly concentrated and needs mixed.

7. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

$60 a gallon x 275 gallon tote = $16,440 What would you charge the customer per gallon? Yikes.

8. joeblowyoursnow

9. nighthawk117

nighthawk117 Senior Member
    from Ma

It's the equivalent of 250lbs of salt, so it states in the specs. :) Google it and request a msds, not a new product by any means. It's been discussed here before

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  10. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Nothing special,just packaged in small amounts for the homeowner market.Probably a mag/calc, and extract mix.

11. joeblowyoursnow

Can you link me where it was discussed please? Thanks for your help!!!

12. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

http://www.amleo.com/Liquid-Snow-Shovel/p/VP-LCC/

Here is a link to the type of product you are researching. Just to clarify, the stuff you posted is $60.00 FOR A 5 GAL BUCKET, NOT $60.00 / GAL. I have a catalog for AM Leonard that came in the mail. It shows the LSS available in up to 275 gal totes, with a sale price of $699.99, but on the cover it states prices good through 12-31-14. Haven't gotten a recent issue, (they come all the time) and looking online they are now showing it at $999.99 for the 275 gal tote which would be $3.64 a gallon, a far cry from your $12.00 / gal stuff.
    I haven't used the LSS, so I can't speak to its ability, however the liquid mag chloride that I have bought in the past (brand name Icenator) worked well. I applied it straight to walks and driveways and also use it as a prewet for my bulk when temps dictate its need. It is QUITE PRICEY at about $2200.00 per 275 gal tote. I had enough left over from last year, and since we have had a minimal winter thus far, I didn't buy any yet. I am considering trying the LSS for my next purchase. Hope this helps.

13. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

I highly doubt any liquid will melt 2" of snow I don't care what's in it

14. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Kinda my thought as well. Check your PM's Chad!

15. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

bare ground is 60 for 5 gals, through sears if you want to try it...i like it for wood decks and steps

16. joeblowyoursnow

Liquid Shovel says it's LCC according to that link.

17. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

As far as I know nothing can beat a proper 30% calcium chloride as far as strength is concerned. That should run you between $.75 and $2 a gallon depending on quantity. Even if there was something twice as powerful, for the price I would only have to spend at most $4 to match it. I call total B.S on these liquid shovel products.

18. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

I totally agree with you on that statement. We are making our own Brine right now with just Sodium Chloride, what do you recommend to add some extra melting power? Its hard for me to find Liquid Calcium anywhere in MD :(

19. joeblowyoursnow

So if some of these are all simply just LCC are they probably just a concentrated version like 75%? And if that was coated heavy enough could it actually (according to the claims) melt up to 2" of snow?

20. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

You can only concentrate up to a certain point,then it will "fallout". Any melter can melt off 2" of snow,if conditions are "perfect".I did it last week with straight bulk rock salt on one account.Pre treated heavy before a predicted .5 dusting,ended up getting 2.5.This one account was 90% bare pavement where salt was, 25 deg sunny. The problem with liquids is you can only apply so much before it just runs off the surface. There is no magic bullet,temps,water content of snow,pre-treat vs post and on and on.I've melted a foot of snow at times, The area where I load my truck almost never has snow on it due to spilledge loading,although you would have to spread at 2 tons per acre to get same result lol.