1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anti freeze leak

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by chas4x4, Jan 31, 2011.

1. chas4x4

chas4x4 Senior Member

Does any one have a idea what would cause anti freeze to leak down the back of the bell housing and around the starter. I can't see any cooling lines that would run in the back of the engine I thought maybe heater core but that is dry.It is not leaking a lot I am hoping it will last till after our storm Tuesday and Wednesday.It is a 1997 F250 5.8l engine

2. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

intake manifold, head gasket, rotted freeze plug are a few guesses. Also, check the heater hoses and make sure they arent dripping down onto the engine

3. Jacobsmovinsnow

Jacobsmovinsnow Senior Member

what he said and pressurize the rad. If its still not evident , there is a dye you can put in the antifreeze and with flashlite in the kit you can trace it

4. chas4x4

chas4x4 Senior Member

I figure it may be the intake I hope it is not the head thanks for the input.

5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Look at the heater line for the throttle plate. It may be leaking a stream. Run it up to operating temp and look carefully for it when you shut it off.

6. 4x4 Ford

4x4 Ford Junior Member
    from PA

my fatherinlaw had a simalar thing on his ranger and he took it to the ford dealer and they put a dye in the rad and found it was leaking intake.

7. chas4x4

chas4x4 Senior Member

freeze plug

Found out what it was freeze plug on the back of the engine have to pull the engine to get to it may as well check the other one's at the same time.

8. glennemay

glennemay Member

I know it's pricier, but since it's out I would add a couple of other things to the laundry list.

i,e, exhaust manifold check, new bolts there, Spark plugs, all new freeze plugs, check the oil pan,

Not to mention all new seals. I have actually seen folks pull and engine and try and re-use the old gaskets and seals. don't do it.

Good Luck.

9. chas4x4

chas4x4 Senior Member

anrtifreeze leak

I probable should have changed some of these things when I changed the oil pan about 5 years ago I am going to look close this times.

10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I have even replaced the rear main oil seal when I had one out. It's worth it to buy the right seal installer. Works the first time and you know it's in right.

11. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

where on the back of the engine is the freeze plug thats leaking?