1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anti fog on Windows??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snowcrazy, Nov 11, 2015.

1. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

Hey guys last season we were having some issues with our 4 door Silverado fogging up rear door Windows.... My uncle runs this truck for me and he does run defrost wide open but it's just not doing the job. We used to run anti fog on our racecar helmet shields back in the day and it worked great but never tried it on Windows... Any feedback appreciated!

2. superdutypsd

superdutypsd Senior Member

Also interested to, my truck has tinted windows which was suppose to help but between the fog and tint, your damn near blind, and at night just forget about it

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I'm a scuba diver.

yes, some of you just thought of spit.:nono:

We use a product called "sea~drops" to keep our masks from fogging.

I have used it on my rear windows with good results.
    it works much better that rain-X anti-fog.

4. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

That is good info I'll look it up man thank u!

5. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

Forgive my stupidity, but I don't understand why visibility out of the rear door windows would be an issue, but then again, I'm not used to plowing with an extended cab truck.

6. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

My windows are tinted and I use a product from Stoners called Invisible Glass. Not an anti-fog but it helps clear them up a bit. Plus it is safe for tint unlike some cleaners.

7. superdutypsd

For me its my front windshield and front sides my back is blocked by v-box, and its either defrost on full blast and cooking inside the truck, or windows down

8. superdutypsd

Yes i have that to, my wife buys it to clean the glass in the house some times, i will have to give it a try never though to use it to see if it helps

9. jhall22guitar

Weird that your windshield is bad. In the winter I tend to keep the windows cracked, with defrost on full. Been good for me so far. Check if your vents facing the side windows are blocked?

10. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

what happens is some guys get out to shovel.
    they then throw their jacket in the back.
    this moisture cause the window to fog.
    or it's snowing and blowing so hard snow is sticking to the window causing condensation.

clean and rain-X the outside of your windows to limit any snow or ice from sticking.

try to knock off all snow from your clothing before getting back in.

to keep the front clear, run the defrost, med to high.
    adjust the temp as nessary and adjust the opening of the windows. to limit any snow blowing in.

You want to "pressurize" the cab, air in threw the defrosters and out the window.
    and avoid recirculating....

11. superdutypsd

I move the two side vents to face the door and have the front on defrost also, usually crack the windows, one to help and two because the heat from the defrost will usually cook me out, thats with the heat on low and blower on 2 maybe, my front will fog up more so up along top and top corners, the sides im pretty much out of luck and will only clear up the bottom corner were vents blowing towards, not even enought to just clear were my mirror is, and as said if i get out of the truck, or have to lower the defrost its game on again and starting all over trying to get them cleared up, alot of times i find myself wiping my drivers side with my arm

12. jhall22guitar

I havent had that issue, but I run windows like halfway down and blower on full. evens out normally.

13. superdutypsd

If is not coming down bad or stops snowing i do the same, but if its snowing its butt off only crack the windows, so snow not blowing thru the truck, last season i had a cracked windshield the spider pretty good, i dnt know if that had anything to do with the windows and windshield fogging up, bc i do not remember it being that bad the years before and then middle of the season my mirror defrosts burn out, new windshield new Mirrors to the updated styles and a new season so well see how it goes

14. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

You would be surprised.... See I have a reg cab truck that is no prob.... Wish I had two ref cab trucks for plowing but one is a do it all truck.. Haul the family, pull trailers, plow snow etc etc. honestly I never had many issues when I plowed out of this truck but I can stand running full heat on defrost and not cooking... My uncle including other employee cannot, they just get so hot they can't stand it.. When u are in tiny lots like banks I look out the passenger side rear door window quite a bit actually.

15. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

I guess I'm just too used to not being able to look out the back window. Even when I am in a truck where I have that capability, I still don't.

16. jhall22guitar

I only used it a few times. RIP truck.

17. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

I def understand! Esp if someone has a v box... We cannot get bulk salt around here so I have always just ran smaller tailgate salters...... I use my mirrors MOST of the time without turning around but damn it scares me to not wheel around and look when I'm plowing at McDonald's, banks, small strip malls etc in the event I have to plow during hours

18. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Optics, glases etc etc

image.jpg

19. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I was aboot to use rainx antifog on my trucks, got it sitting right here...now it looks like I need to visit the dive shop..