1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

antenna question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by accipiter12, Feb 21, 2005.

1. accipiter12

accipiter12 Senior Member

I know there are a few people who know a bit about cb's and sutff, I have a question on antennas, if you could email me I appreciate it, it's off topic from plowing. Thanks

coopershwk@hotmail.com
    Blake
    WA

2. Mower For Less

Mower For Less Senior Member

Check out FireStik.com There tech section can answer alot of your questions.

Kevin

3. Peopleeater

Peopleeater Senior Member

Wilson

Wilson Trucker Series antennas are supposed to be good.

Post some info on what you need and would be happy to try and help. I do dump truck work and Cbs come in handy when on the job site as long as the operators have/use them. They would work good with plowing at close range (big lot, etc.).

Jeff

4. accipiter12

Well, I had just a quick question about the window mount antenna, looks like cell antennas. I had a mag mount just because I don't want to drill holes in my car, waiting to get a truck for that. Was wondering how well those window ones worked. I don't need to talk to people super far away, I don't use my cb a lot as it is, but when I'm with people who have them, we're pretty close by.

Thanks

Blake
    WA

5. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i like wilson my self

6. Mower For Less

The window mount antennas are JUNK. I tried one once on a trip. I think I could see the trucks before I could reach them on CB. No joke, they are worthless. Roof mount wire whip's are your best bet for a temporary mount.

Kevin

7. Peopleeater

Peopleeater Senior Member

CBs and Antenna

I have always heard that to get good reception, you should buy best antenna you can and skimp on the radio itself. And everyone always hears 'you get what you pay for'. Don't buy the window mount. If you get a good antenna, the radio will work much better (the static won't be as bad, and the radio will get better reception as you can keep the squelch set lower.

I had a single mag mount cheap fiberglass one (from truck stop Diesel brand) and a cheap cobra 19 something in my suburban and it worked but very staticy (is that a word? static-E). But it works and can change the mag mount to a better one if I choose. the anntenna screws into the mag mount base. Can mount in rear bumper on the truck or whatever. All the way to one side so tailgate opens, drill a hole in top of bumper, and screw the antenna/coax coupler under bumper. My truck broker has it done this way, and looks nice. I dont like the drilling holes part, though.

Jeff

8. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Buy the best ant. you can afford and have someone that knows what they are doing tune it. The older K-40 is a god ant. but still needs to be tuned to your truck.

9. Mower For Less

I used a fiberglass mast antenna, similar to what was described above, screwed into a mag base, but I had a problem with it in the wind, or at high highway speeds blowing off the roof. The wire whip got just as good of reception, if not better, and never blew off the roof.

Kevin

10. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I have used 9' stainless whips (my personal favorite), fiberglass 9' whips, fiberglass 3 foot loaded coils (like firesticks), magnet moint ss whips, and almost everything else out there. Window mount are junk- so are the cheap "walmart" type antennas- never buy a center loaded anything- even a Texas bug catcher- the center load coil is the weak spot and will break if it hits something.

Everyone is correct, buy a good antenna and skimp on the radio until you can get a good radio- and make sure your antenna is tuned properly. An improper tuning at best gives terrible performance and at worst can damage your radio.

Get a good antenna and use a trunk lip mount or a magnet mount until you want to drill mount it if you really want to mount it that way. There are tons of options for mountings, magnet, panel lip edge, mirror, bumper clamp, stake pocket, etc. I use a magnet mount for my 2M ham on my dodge all the time (I swap the antenna in spring and fall from a rubber ducky in winter to a 3 foot 1/2 wave for summer) and dual mirror mounts for the cb in my chevy dump.

11. PlowMan03

PlowMan03 Senior Member
    from Maine

I have a Wilson "Little Will" magnet mount on my truck along with a Midland Model 1000 and it works very well. I have the same set up in my ZR2.

12. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I run one of those window stick on antenas about 12" long or so and have 0 problems with it. I'm not using it for a CB but our own freq but anywho. I dont want to stick a goofy magnet on my roof(scratches and such :cry: ) and the window mount looks good and is very unobtrusive. Sticks on my back glass pass uper corner. I have used it and hit down to 25 miles away from the repeater dealymobober thing. Duno how far it will go? Use a motorola radio. Its been stuck on for over a year. No idea how they work for the guys really into CB's and the like???

13. accipiter12

Huh, good info guys. Thanks. I've heard that the window mounts are not worth it I just wanted to confirm it. Once I get a truck I'll be able to get a nicer antenna, I just don't want to get all antenna crazy with the car. :rolleyes: Thanks again!

Blake
    WA

14. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Someone used to market a rubber-esque circle cut in different sizes to stick on the bottom of your magnet base for antennas- I bought one at a ham flee market years ago and have been kicking myself ever since for not buying more. I have scratches from the antenna wire due to the wind, I have scratches from the magnets on my lightbar, but nothing from my magnet mount antenna after almost 4 years. the stick on thingy also prevents the magnet from sliding when something hits it (causing scratches) and makes it tip over and release.

I am thinking I will try that rubber coating dip stuff for tool handles on the light bar magnets for next season- packing tape works ok to prevent scratches but has to be replaced every year.

15. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

window mount vs body mount

The window mount antenna has a built in 3db loss of signal strength. They also need tuned. So if you have a VSWR bridge or access to one tune it to the frequency. I have them on some of our UHF rigs. The work ok but the drill hole in top of truck works the best..

Dave