1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Answers please

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by tripjjj, Nov 10, 2013.

1. tripjjj

tripjjj Junior Member

I bought a 2008 ford f250 with 80,000 miles last year. Previous owner did not plow with it. I put a stainless steel fisher v plow on it. Did not plow much last year and when I'm not plowing I take it off. Recently I noticed front tires are wearing unevenly. Took it in to get alignment done mechanic shop told me I need to replace $3,000 worth of parts. Latt arm, pitman arm , tie rods and some other stuff. I'm going to get a second opinion. Does this make sense?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Fords rides stiff so good chance with those miles.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  3. tripjjj

tripjjj Junior Member

Any idea if taking it to a ford dealership it would be cheaper?

4. grandview

No,but you will get Fords parts and not aftermarket.

5. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

If the guy that owned it before you never heard of or used grease that is possible. Is the $3k parts and labor? I am assuming that also includes an alignment. ?

Just for giggles I would take it to another place and ask them to align it and do not mention what the 1st shop said. In fact don't even mention you took it to another place first.

6. grandview

Can't grease anything on them

7. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

that doesnt sound right to me... i havent replaced that much stuff on all three of my superduty front ends combined.. my f250 with 200k on it has only had one tie rod replaced and both wheel bearings and one set of balljoints ince it was bought new in 2002

8. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

You can't be serious??? :confused:

9. tripjjj

tripjjj Junior Member

$3,000 was just parts. I'm going to try another place tomorrow.

10. KIVALO

KIVALO Member
    from Uhh NO!

I plow 4 driveways and one business parking lot and I only have an HTS. I can definitely tell the difference in the front end and my tires wore unevenly. And thats from one season with light snowfall.

11. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Nope everything is sealed. Its better that way

I can do full brakes and ball joints for a little under 2k including labor . Tie rods are 1.3 a side. They will usually round it up to 3. The tie rods are expensive.

$3k in parts isn't all that far fetched. I think the bearings were 500 a piece. One tie rod was over 300.

12. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Guess I am old school. I like to get under and grease it up myself and make sure it stays that way. When I replace u-joints I also make sure to get greasable ones.

You're right $3k in parts these days is not un-heard of , but, I would still take it to another place and get a second opine. Again I would not mention you took it somewhere else before hand.

13. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

I agree with a second opinion.

I don't use any greasable parts. I like sealed. Don't have to worry about forgetting to grease them,tiny bits of crud getting in to them. And they always seems to be messy at some point in their life

14. tripjjj

tripjjj Junior Member

Thanks for everyone's responses

15. hackitdown

hackitdown Member

When faced with that type of repair cost, doesn't trading it in begin to make sense? Just a thought.

16. mud

mud Senior Member

Not necessarily. You would take a even bigger hit on trade, plus paying the inflated prices of buying new or used from a dealer.

I will add that it is not all that uncommon in fords to have that work done around that milage. I did all four ball joints in my 01 at around 75k, and did the drivers side again this spring and that was before I had ever put a plow on it.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  17. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

If the first owner never did a thing to the front end it's probably all worn out. Just the front brakes you could be into it for $500 or more. Labor is creeping up every year. If you DIY it's 1/3 or a little more. But you have to have the skill.

18. tripjjj

tripjjj Junior Member

Took truck to a different mechanic. He said everything other shop wanted to do was fine. All it needed was a steering stabilizer and shocks. Truck drives better than the day i got it. Parts and labor $450.00. Nothing better than an old school mechanic that has his own place.

19. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

I knew something was wrong With that quote. I've never seen a super duty that needed all that work with less than 200k on it.

20. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

unless your alignment was off your tires will probably still wear uneven. the stabilizer shock wont affect your tire problem. Id bet you are due for as set of ball joints.