1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Answers for a newb

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by colt45, Feb 20, 2011.

1. colt45

colt45 Junior Member
    from montana

Hi guys. First off I'd like to say this site is awesome! Beyond that I have a few questions. I'm thinking of starting a snow removal service for STRICTLY SIDEWALKS. I don't want to get too involved as I already have another job. Just something simple and easy (to start with anyway). I'm thinking of using a four wheeler and plow setup. I have a few questions.
    1. What do you think a fair rate would be?
    2. Should I look into getting a contract or just go on the good ol' handshake method?
    3. If I do get a contract, where/what would be good things to include?
    4. Any other tips or advice for a business like this?
  2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

try reading the ATV forum and using the search button
  3. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

DIDO on the search button, and welcome to plowsite
  4. Lee's plowing

Lee's plowing Junior Member

The problem with doing only sidewalks is you have to be insured due to the foot trafic and risk of being sued, get a used truck with a plow a snow blower and a push spreader, then get commercial insurance, commercial accounts have to be plowed or salted if there is a dusting or a foot of snow. this is what i did, be patient looking for a truck and plow i waited a year but now i have 18 residential accounts and 9 commercial....on avrage 1100 dollars per storm!!!!!

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

instead of ust sidewalks you should get a few small driveways. you could do them in no time with your atv and make more $ than you would with sidewalks. around here people that shovel their own driveways also do their own sidewalks or if they have a plow guy they take care of the sidewalks
  6. 97silverado

97silverado Junior Member
    from NEPA

You only make 1100 lee with 27 jobs??? I just started this year and have 3 res and 1 commercial. I only make like 500 but that is only 4 jobs.

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

around here residential are like $25 - $40 so 27 $40 drives woud be $1080 so i guess it make sence for my area idk how big the driveways are where he works
  8. Lee's plowing

Lee's plowing Junior Member

silverado, i wasnt paying attenton to my typing ment to say say 3100, still not a ton of money but there is alot of competition in my area
  9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Sidewalks are the highest liability and the most maintenance/labor intense. You most certainly need contracts and insurance. The best way to learn the business with the least amount of exposure would be to work under a sub contract for a large contractor.
  10. 97silverado

97silverado Junior Member
    from NEPA

I was gonna say that is way low atleast for my area.