1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Answer this question.......

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Kentuckydiesel, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Kentuckydiesel

Kentuckydiesel Senior Member

Where do snow equipment manufacturers get off charging thousands of dollars for salt spreaders, but farm equipment manufacturers can sell much heavier, much longer lasting seed/fertilizer broadcasters for $300-$350????

I keep looking at these used salt spreaders and in beat up, not working condition, they still bring $150-$250. WHAT?????

The whole thing seems rediculous, and don't tell me that it's because salt is corrosive, fertilizer is every bit as corrosive as salt.

2. nepmgmt

nepmgmt Member

I had never thought of this before you said this and really didn't know they had this big v box spreaders for farms. so i did a search on goggle and came out with lots of results but really didn't find anytrhing that would work it was a quick one so i prob didn't look long enough but most seem to be on big trucks.
  3. hobbie

hobbie Junior Member

I have thought about using a "farm" spreader before. The only problem that I see is that "farm" spreaders are made to broadcast large area. (you would cover all the cars in the lot.) So you have to manufacture some type of deflector???????????? We have also thought of using an auger truck to supply salt trucks (so you don't have to drive back to the bunker to fill up.)???????????
  4. Kentuckydiesel

Kentuckydiesel Senior Member

Our bigger broadcaster is an old herd brand. I can take the PTO RPM up or down to change the width of the spread. I think the main deal would be reducing the speed of the spinner. Anyhow, it seems like for the price difference, a person could buy a farm spreader, convert it to electric, and use it for life, rather than buy cheap made salt spreader after cheap made salt spreader and paying way too much. -PHILLIP
  5. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

we used to use one for a small tractor. similar to what they sell at farm and home. $300 brand new. woorked good, we carried the bags of salt in the bucket. we did the walmart with it one year using thier salt. good for starting out.....i like the swensen a little better
  6. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

unfortunately it just goes with the market.

Farmers can't afford to spend as much as commercial plowers.

The same goes for heavy equipment. To take a diesel engine in one the tractors on our farm and get it rebuilt at shop would cost X many dollars. But if you were to take the same engine in yellow machinery to a shop. It would instantly cost twice as much. It's not fair, but that's the way it is. They charge an arm and a leg for commercial heavy equipment.

I've looked into farm spreaders. At one point we had made a spreader out of an a mini silo. Attached it to a 3pt and ran the spinner off the remotes. It wasn't very efficient though. But did the job.
  7. Willy-D8

Willy-D8 Member

A large V-Box for a farm is called a MANURE SPREADER. :rolleyes: We have an old John Deere manure spreader. How old you ask? Well my father converted it from being horse drawn. And we still use it every year to drop a few yards of manure in the fields.