1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anoying newb "which plow is better question"

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by hpa, Oct 19, 2009.

1. hpa

hpa Junior Member
    from Canada

Im sure it comes down to a chevy vrs ford debate, but here goes, Im buying a plow in the next few weeks, Its going on a ford excursion, I need it to do my garage's parking lot and a few driveways, Its my new plow, and if i like it enough, I may do some small contracts with it.

Ive been around to my local dealers, and im stuck between two, Boss 7.6 super duty tripedge, or a fisher SD in the same size, They both look like great units, im just wondering if someone with experience could give me some pros and cons of both units.

Im thinking the chain lift of the fisher might be better for stacking the snow, thats about the only thing I can see thaqt is better on the fisher. to bad I hate the color, lol

Thanks for the input
    Dan

2. JR Snow Removal

JR Snow Removal Senior Member

I went from a Meyer to a Boss and don't think I will every buy anything else. Didn't really answer your ? but that's my .02:waving:

Oh ya Welcome to plow site!
    Terrorizing newbs 9 years and running:laughing: j/k maybe?

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

7.5 is way too small. Get at least an 8 footer, or an 8.5. The Fisher SD is pretty light for your truck, you want an HD. Both are well built plows, both have trip edge. Most that have gone from chain lift to direct lift seem to like direct better. Apparently the direct lift is not a hindrance to stacking. It may come down to which dealer, or color, you like better.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Sorry but you have that backwards.

You need more blade then you are considering. Consider you have a F250 pickup truck with 1000 lbs of ballast factory installed. Go to the manufacturer links at the top of the page and use their match guides to find the either an 8 or 8 1/2 foot blade.

Why trip edge?

5. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Boss... as far as Ford or Chevy, that's easy... neither get a Dodge....lol

6. hpa

hpa Junior Member
    from Canada

So im thinking to small..... I was trying to keep the plow as light as possible, and the local laws state that I need a special permit (which i do not want) if the plow is wider than the mirrors(unextended) I will admit that I have not measure the width of the truck. perhaps I will reconsider.

Why a trip edge? i dont realy know, its what i had on my old chevy and I liked it...

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You need more blade to stop running over the unplowed areas with your rear wheels, to keep your mirrors out of the bushs, etc. Lots of threads on this topic. search "what size blade" "how big".

IMO I do not think that trip edges scrape as clean as a full trip, but they are much better on unpaved roadways. I am a big fan of direct lift So you can guess what brand I'd choose:nod:

8. hpa

hpa Junior Member
    from Canada

How does a full trip reset itself? drop and pull back?

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

10. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

Make sure you post pictures of your Ex with the blade. I have a 8' western on my Excursion

11. hpa

hpa Junior Member
    from Canada

many thanks

12. hpa

hpa Junior Member
    from Canada

Nice , do you have any pics?

13. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

Here you go!

[​IMG]

14. hpa

hpa Junior Member
    from Canada

NICE! same color too! only thing ive changed is i put a f250 front grill on it. pics comming soon!

15. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

Im going to put a one piece clear headlights in sometime this winter (mid 2000's style)

16. hpa

hpa Junior Member
    from Canada

What size is your plow, do you like the size?

I tried some TYC clear lights with a blacked out housing, but i sent them back, it looked cheesy, Im going to hold out and try and fit some 06 black out ones, not sure if they fit though...

17. Realdealoo8

Realdealoo8 Member

I'm running a Boss 8'2 poly v and love it. Zero problems for 3 years now. Truck carries it like a champ, I did add a leaf in the front.

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If one of your main concerns is weight then get away from the trip edges as most are heavier than the same comparable full trip.

And please refrain from a mid-weight plow on an Excursion. An 8 ft full trip would be my recommendation. Brand would be your choice.

19. asps4u

asps4u Senior Member

I agree with most here, as far as the 8 ft. goes. You'll be glad you went bigger unless you don't like your mirrors, than go with the 7' 6" :D and my vote goes with The Boss!! Personally I think an 8' 2" VXT would look stellar on that truck IMO :waving: