1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another year,another scammer

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grandview, Feb 2, 2016.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

BUFFALO, N.Y. (WKBW) - A contractor who customers say did not plow their driveways is being sued by the State Attorney General.

Eric Schneiderman has filed a suit against Joseph Lloyd, saying in some cases Lloyd charged customers more than $275 for snow removal services, none of which they received following several recent snowfalls. The owner of Gold N' Gifts on Hamburg Street in East Aurora said she hired Lloyd for $725 in November of 2015. She said he plowed once, but that was it.

According to the civil suit, Lloyd also failed to provide home improvement services after receiving payments from customers.

Schneiderman is looking to recoup customers’ losses. In the meantime, an injunction has been issued that prohibits Lloyd from selling any of his assets or using his bank accounts and accepting advance payments from customers. "The goal of our agency is to prevent further harm to consumers," explained Assistant Attorney General, James Morrissey. "That's why we're trying to stop him in hid tracks and why we got the temporary restraining order. The goal of our office is to try and get restitution for consumers who've been ripped off. And thirdly, the imposition, fines and penalties when people violate the law."

This case is similar to that of Scott Romero, a snow plow scammer who went to jail for six months after ripping off customers for more than $100,000.

Several police agencies are investigating this case and criminal charges may be filed. Lloyd is scheduled to appear in court for this civil matter on February 25th.
  2. BFD

BFD Junior Member
    from buffalo

Did you see the list of his former company names one looked close to your company. Can the same name be used in two different Counties ?
  3. ktfbgb

ktfbgb Senior Member

Where I'm at, AZ, yes we get snow, Our average here is 103" a year, you can't have a similar name as anyone in the entire state, much less a different county.
  4. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I'm amazed that so many people go through the trouble to rob a client of such a small amount, and actually think it's worth doing so.

Crazy ..
  5. grandview

Saw it . Only difference between us is the "ing" in snowplowing. But you can have close to the same name.
  6. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

How's it work up there? Here the court dates just keep getting postponed.
  7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Who's the one that posted the pics of collecting the seasonal money whilst sitting by the fire?
  8. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I think that was just some r&r and strategic planning!Pre plowing meditation.Seems to work :eek:
  9. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Another black eye for seasonal, sorry Grandview.:waving:
  10. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I dunno.... who ?;);)
  11. FredG

FredG PlowSite.com Addict

The guys a crook and his fate will be the same as Romero, Say hello to Tyrone.
  12. grandview

Stupid and cheap people need to be ripped off.:rolleyes:
  13. grandview

But was it snowing out?:drinkup:
  14. FredG

FredG PlowSite.com Addict

I remember coming from Phoenix to flagstaff heading to NY almost got stranded. You sure do get snow.
  15. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Is the snow plowing for residentials regulated up there?
    Do you have to be registered with the town/county to operate legaly?
  16. grandview

Only that the towns want 25.00 for a plow permit,reverse scam.
  17. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

I feel sorry for the folks, i do, i hate the scammers too, BUT

Why is it that the AG office from states like NY, go after "individuals" that offered some services for $275, or even the guy for $100k, and yet year after year, i GUARANTEE that companies like USM, Ferrandino & SMS all fail to pay on over $1,000,000 in services to contractors or more, maybe double that. Who is out there filing charges against the owners of these scammer management companies? Its no different, money out of your pocket or the home owners pocket.. i mean we are all homeowners right?
  18. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

You mean "legal" scam. LOL