1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another wing question

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by brshhog, Jan 25, 2007.

1. brshhog

brshhog Junior Member

I have a GMC C5500 4x4 with a 10' V, and was needing some extra length on the side to push the windrows over in the ditch without falling INTO the ditch. (7 miles of roads) How do these work at this task? Does the rubber bottom push the snow or are these made primarily for scooping snow when doing large areas. Money isn't really a factor if it keeps me from geting stuck 16 miles from town with no cell service.
    Thanks for the help,
    DOUG

2. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape Senior Member

the rubber definately pushes the snow! Its almost like a really thick block of poly at the bottom. Check out pics on the Boss website.

3. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Im not 100% sure, but I dont think the wings work on the 10 foot plows.

4. KINNCO

KINNCO Senior Member

[​IMG]

YOU CAN SEE THAT THEY MAKE CONTACT TO THE GROUND

5. SpruceLandscape

those are not the boss wings, those are the cheaper PRO wings.

6. brshhog

brshhog Junior Member

Sprucelandscape, I did see the pics on the site. I was mainly concerned with their ability to push the windrows.
    Thanks for your replys
    DOUG

7. Jt13speed

Jt13speed Senior Member

Yah, i dont think the Boss wings will fit a 10footer. Have you checked out the JJag Wing or Sidewing, might work alittle better.

8. SpruceLandscape

the angle on the wings is only 20 degrees. if you have it in a straight position, they will scoop the snow. Once you angle the plow though, the leading forward edge helps keep the snow from pushing off on the high side, and the trailing edge will let it roll without scooping. Of course this depends on how much angle you put on the plow, but if you angle it at just 20 degrees, you have the trailing wing now in a straight position while the rest of the plow is pushing the snow towards it. I very rarely angle my blade all the way because these work so well. I think that will also keep the cutting edge from wearing unevenly as well, but time will tell. I'm not sure how much farther you need to get the snow to go into the ditch, but the previous post about a side blade might want to be an option to explore as well.

9. brshhog

brshhog Junior Member

Thanks for the help, I'd like to get the BOSS wings, but I will look into the other options as well.

DOUG

10. brshhog

brshhog Junior Member

The Boss moldboard on the 10' is different than the 9'2" as stated earlier. So that option is out. And the Jjag requires that I lose my side tool box, which is not an option since it is part of the bed itself. So I am looking into making one.
    DOUG

11. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Did you look at the Sidewing? I have one on my pickup and it does not interfere with the side of the truck at all. They make a larger version for your size truck.

http://www.norweb.se/sidewing/index.html

The NA site isn't working right now, but do a search, there are some cool videos of them.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2007