1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another what would YOU bid to plow these lots?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by burtle, Sep 18, 2015.

1. burtle

burtle Member
    from USA

Hey guys...I am new to the snow plowing. I put a bid in for these two lots. These are the first two commercial lots I've put bids in for. I have two more properties wanting bids, but I haven't done them yet. They are about the size of the first lot.

I put in a bid for $125.00 per push on the first lot. NO SALT.

On the second lot I put a bid in for $140.00 per push since it is bigger and has more obstacles. NO SALT.

I won't know for 2-3 weeks if I got them.

With your expenses what would you charge for these per push? Or would you do a yearly bid? It snows from November-March here. It usually snows at least 6-7 times a year that produces over 1" each time.

My expenses are, $500.00 a month for a truck, $150.00 a month for insurance/business insurance, $200-300.00 a month in fuel, and $200.00 a month for the mower and snow plow payment. Approximately $1,140.00 a month in expenses IF nothing breaks down. Everything I have is under warranty for 3 more years though, so that helps. Sorry for the huge thread. Just trying to lay everything out.

Lot 1
    [​IMG]

Lot 2
    [​IMG]

Hoping for positive feedback!
    Thanks

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Are they gas stations?

Open 24/7?
    Location, usa is a big place.
    We don't need your address , just the the region , nearest city.....
    Never mind I see the location

What is your trigger?
    And does your Ins know you might be plowing a gas station?

As you guessed, I'll never give you a # you have to do that part.
    And I never plow gas stations , or a 24/7 business, lessen learned.
    Doesn't mean you won't like them or make them work.

For your numbers, how much work can you do you need to make a living.
    And a warnty doesn't plow one single lot,
    What is your back up plan?
    If they can't open or loose $$ because your broke down, they can sue you for not holding up your end of the contract.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  3. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

I wouldn't plow a gas station for $1000. you say its worth $125 6 time a year=$750. that doesn't even cover your insurance

if you only plow 6 times a year you better be looking for 3x that rate. and not gas stations.

4. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I think I'd be in the $95/each range. You bid $125 and I don't think that's a bad price either but in my area lots of that size go for under $100.

5. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

^^^This^^^

Gas stations are a nightmare to plow. Back when I was getting started in the business I did several gas stations. Now that I'm more established I don't have any interest in them. People will pull in right behind you as you're plowing. It's white-knuckle plowing.

6. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

but coach he only plows 6 times a year. would take him 5 years to recoup assets at that rate. and its a gas station.

7. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

NO salt and hardpack and throw in the fact of it being a GS...pass.

If you do take them on, be prepared to buy additional replacement lids for the fill tanks

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Florida?????

9. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

$100 and $120

10. Mark Oomkes

And around here they'd go for less than half that.

Which is why asking what I would bid is a worthless question.

11. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I believe you. He's asking so I'm just giving him what he wants.

12. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

I looked 4 times and still don't see a location other then gps coordinates. It must be towards the south, they are the only ones that can bring that much money other then Philly and sue happy Jersey. You might be in the ball park for your area (where ever that is) depending on how much competition you have.

13. Mark Oomkes

I know, I was pointing it out for the OP and those who get all bitchy when their questions aren't answered the way they want.

14. Mark Oomkes

I'm too lazy to type in the coordinates.

Greg must have them memorized. :laughing:

I lied, for whatever reason, I did the first one.

Casey's General Store Auburn Illernoiz

I assume the second one is somewhere around there. Just south of Springfield.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  15. LapeerLandscape

My guess is it is in Tennessee or Georgia, I think the only snow they get is what falls off the cars from Michigan on their way to Florida.

16. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Those are 3-4 hour jobs a push. NEVER EVER EVER plow gas stations unless your charging hourly. I HATE PLOWING GAS STATIONS...

17. burtle

burtle Member
    from USA

wow thanks for the advice guys! Being a new guy I figure it was a good start, but sounds like gas stations are a nightmare. Yes, they are open 24/7. Keep in mind those numbers I gave were per push. But yeah....I'm rethinking gas stations.

18. LapeerLandscape

3 to 4 hours? If you cant do the first one in 30 minutes or less you better stay in bed.

19. LapeerLandscape

There not that bad I do 3 stations similar to those one is open 24 hrs the others open at 5am. Just be extra careful be aware of every car that goes in or out and where they are at all times as you should with any parking lot. If you can get that money for them go for it.

20. Mark Oomkes

Shirley you jest. :jester::jester: