1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another "what should i use" thread.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by tyler_mott85, Mar 2, 2008.

1. tyler_mott85

tyler_mott85 Junior Member

Undergoing a startup and am searching my options for ice control. Will be a one-man fert/pesticide company. I plan on offering snow and ice control in the winter months. If i don't get any snow accounts i'll still sub myself out to have work. Seeing as how i have a tank in the truck for the pesticide i figure i'll just use liquid deicers to save on equipment costs. However, the biggest reason is i dont really want a stock pile of sand, salt or ice melt which i will have to load by hand into the truck or in a hopper. So liquid in a tank...could be pumped into the sprayer leaving my back refreshed and my overhead down since i wont have to rent a skidloader or fork lift just to load the truck.

I've been really interested in the Magic-0 product and just learned about Geo Melt S today. My biggest question is will the extra expense of buying a storage tank and the extra cost of the product itself benefit a small contractor that will not use a lot of the product. I'm in kansas and I wouldn't consider ourselves very fortunate in the snow department. Maybe 4 or 5 plowable events this year in wichita. More often then not we get freezing drizzle or sleet. Or, should I just use a standard brine solution that doesn't have the great "advantages" of these new bio organic melters have. I have worries about the corrosive qualities of sodium or magnesium chloride having ill effects on my sprayer and storage tank. So maybe the added expense of these other products will be worth it just so my sprayer doesnt get corroded out.

Any thoughts or experiences would be great.
    Nice to be here, by the way.