1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another what is it worth......

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Chief Plow, Jan 15, 2002.

1. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

I hate to bore everyone with a what is it worth question, But I need an opinion. I am looking a a 1984 dodge 1 ton, with a 7.5 meyers blade and e- 47 pump. It has 98,000 miles original on it, was a NYS park truck. It also has a moveable hoist on the back, will lift up to about 500 #'s, so the dealer says. The drive train is a 360 motor, and 4 speed manual trans. Tires are new, body has a few holes in it, but no dents, and brakes are new. Also, the inside is nice, and there are suprisingly, no holes in the seats or the floors. Truck rode stiff, ( Expectadly so ) clutch felt a little soft, but otherwise ok. So, here is the big one.... What's it worth.... the dealer wants $2000, Is that out of line, I was looking to give about $1700...Tops, based on age...

Thanks for any input ....

Chief Plow
  2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

It sounds like it is a solid truck. I would say it probably is worth that amount. you can probably get it for a little less as I assume the dealer will likely want to move an old truck like that off the lot.

I would think about a bigger plow for it if I were you.
  3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

it sounds bout right forwhat it is,without seeing it. Electrical problems wer common on older Dodges.What is this trucks purpose?backup truck,or for homeowner's driveway? I would expect it to hold up for long to commercial plowing at that age,without spending a lot of money on it.
  4. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

Well, the truck's purpose is to be a back up rig. It will help haul around the snow blowers and some extra salt. Also, would do some light plowing in "as needed situations". Any one have an opinion as to puting a smaller v-box on this rig? I have the one tailgate spreader on my current truck, this could make life alot easier.... I guess some food for thought...

Chief plow
  5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

For a backup,it might work great,I woulfnt want to depend on it though.It should hold a small V-box if the box isnt rotted,and the rear springs are in good shape.I would check,and replace all the brake lines,and E-brake cables,since they are so old.
  6. Jamie Slaughter

Jamie Slaughter Junior Member

forget about the brake lines , I would stomp out the rust holes in the floorboards, and if the brake lines fail, you can use "Flintstone brakes" just make sure you wear new boots