1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another Western Plow Rehab thread

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by got-h2o, Aug 23, 2009.

1. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

After seeing a few threads here and receiving a handfull of PM's on the subject, I figured I'd post a few pics of plows I've done in the past. The first is worst case scenario. Note the holes and stuff in the first pic. This is the EXACT same plow in Pic #1 and 2. The others are a couple I had on hand of ones I've done in the past. Enjoy!!

pl1.jpg

pl2.jpg

IMAGE_088.jpg

IMAGE_081.jpg

IMG_2471.jpg

2. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Last 2 of the MVP are the same plow

IMG_2465.jpg

IMG_2514.jpg

IMG_2516.jpg

IMAGE_644.jpg

IMAGE_806.jpg

3. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Last 3 are of the same plow

IMG_3532.jpg

IMG_3561.jpg

IMG_3730.jpg

IMG_3734.jpg

plow4.jpg

4. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Same plow:

IMAGE_123.jpg

wings.jpg

5. growitmowitlawn

growitmowitlawn Member

help on how to do this?

How much does it cost to restore a plow like this? Where do you get the parts/paint/etc? How long does it take? How do you fill in the wholes? Thanks.

6. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Price will depend on how bad it is to start with. Its not just cosmetic either, I go through the power units, flush, replace pumps, hoses, filters as needed, etc. As for patching holes, I cut out and weld in steel solid, then filler then sand. I usually don't get them in that poor of condition. This year I'm going to try and have complete skins made to weld in place of the factory ones. Also, sometimes I have them sandblasted, I plan to have them all blasted this year. As for parts and materials, I'm set up with a Western Parts supplier. Also I reduce, harden, and spray the paint on, I then clear coat over the stickers. Email me at clearwater1@att.net and we'll discuss price and details.

7. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

I spy an Arctic Cat can and pipe in one of the pictures.

How do you go about repairing the holes in the moldboard like in the very first picture you put up?

8. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Lol good eye.....off of my buddies F7.........which is for sale for the record ;)

As for holes, I noted in post #6

"I cut out and weld in steel solid, then filler then sand" ;)

9. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Those plows came out wicked good.

10. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

the filler.....how do you keep these from ending up like so many bondo jobs we have all seen?...all the vibration doesn't break it all off?...the flexing?...

11. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

The springs are setup different on the plow in pic 1 and 2 on the first post. Did you change the spring configuration or is that not the same plow?

12. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Well, I spot weld the seams solid and grind smooth with a flapper wheel, the filler is just to cover the grind marks and is pretty much thin as the paint, if that.....just enough to fill the scratches.

Same plow, I convert all 3 springers to 4 springers. ;)

13. rusty_keg_3

rusty_keg_3 Senior Member

Wow, thats crazy! how much dose that set u back to restore one?

14. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

It really depends what all it needs b/c it's not really always cosmetic. From a cutting edge, misc bolts, chain, hoses, springs, deflector etc.. to sandblasting, paint, etc... It could need wiring, lights, a pump, cyls, shock, etc, then the price goes up ;) Lets not forget time as well. It's really hard to say, but a starting point would probably be around $500-600 minimum + labor. payup

15. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

nice work H2O :drinkup: i think appearance is a huge plus whether its an old plow or not keeping them looking good as well as working great is the way to go;)

16. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Thanks Nick ;-)

17. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Do you have any more pics of the wings in the last pic? Are those a custom thing ot can they be bought somewhere? Thanks.

18. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

they look good h20

19. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

They're a set of universal wings called "Pro Wings" made by Buyers. They list for $250. They're not as good as the actual brand specific designed wings, but they work great. I don't think I'd run a straight blade without them, WAY less dribbles.

Thanks bud ;)

Going to be doing 4-5 more soon. They'll be coming apart this week and off to the blaster (the only one blasted in the above pics was the MVP). They should turn out nice, and will all be on the market to anyone interested, maybe even in trading in your old ones.

20. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

got-H20-

I have read most of westerns publications on their websites. Since I am refurbishing my plow, I am curious on what filters and such need to be looked at in the pump.