1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another V-Plow question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by wolfie, Nov 5, 2001.

1. wolfie

wolfie Senior Member

My truck is having the Fisher 8.5 V-Plow installed and today I got a call from the Chevy dealer saying it would be ready tomorrow... The salesman said that the owner of the dealership wanted to know if I would rather have an 8 foot straight blade instead... He said he thought the 8.5 V-Plow would be too much for a Chevy 2500HD.... He told me that he would still honor the warranty either way but that he thought it was too much for the truck.. What do you all think?? I looked in the brochure and there is only 53 pounds difference between the two... and this is a regular cab with the 6.0 engine... no extra weight on the front... I told them to go ahead with the V-Plow but I wanted some other opinions...

2. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

OF COURSE YOU GET THE V!!

The V plow has more of its weight further back. It stresses the front axle LESS than a straight blade.

Besides 53 lbs? On a 2500HD with the 6.0 litre?

You know they plow with a 6.6L which weighs hundreds of pounds more.

Come on! I understand safety and prudence, but tell your dealer thanx for the receommendation and get the plow you need to make money.

3. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

According to the Fisher website:

<pre>
    8.5 V 8 straight 8.5 straight
    880 lbs 855 lbs 910 lbs

</pre>

The 8.5 V is only 25 lbs more than the 8 ft straight.

And 30 lbs. lighter than the 8.5 straight blade.

I think maybe the dealer was going to make a bigger profit on the straight blade. Or like JD Plower says below, he has more straights "on hand" than Vs. (wow, I can predict what the next person says :D )

Last edited: Nov 5, 2001
  4. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Dave I think your probably correct about the dealer profit idea. My guess is he has a lot more straight blades around than V's.
    Wolfie these guys are correct, whenever possible go with the V-plow. If you have a dealer installed unit you will have at least somebody to bring it to if you have any problems.

5. ddm

ddm Member

No fear of the Fisher V either. I have the exact same truck, as well as some others here in my area, and I'm putting on a Boss 9-2 poly V. ( 956 lbs.) I was a little concerned also at first of the weight issue, but a couple guys around here run the same setup last year with no troubles at all. And like what was said, the 6.0 gas weighs considerably less than the duramax diesel up front to begin with.

6. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

Interesting you bring this up.

Today I called my Boss dealer, to check on applications for a new truck I'm looking at. I was struggling between the ford 3/4 ton and 1 ton, and wondered if Boss would put a 9'2 on a new 3/4 regular cab, or if I would need to get the 350. My Boss dealer said only 1 tons for the 9'2", unless I had the Chevy 2500 HD. He said that was the only 3/4 ton made that Boss would let them put a 9'2" blade on!!

7. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

My Boss dealer will put a 9'2" on my 2000 Ram 2500 quad cab,even with Cummins in it.They told me to show up with 300 lbs of ballast in it,and no problem.

8. wolfie

wolfie Senior Member

I have no idea why they wanted me to go to a straight blade but I already told them to put the V-plow on it. the funny thing is that they had to send a guy up to where they are installing the plow to crank up the torsion bars because they wouldn't do it and I guess they wouldn't let them pick up the truck until it was done. I just hope I can pick it up tomorrow like they promised... they've hd it over a week now.

9. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Some car and truck dealers buy X amount of plows in X amount of sizes from a plow dealer. These plows include the mouting kits for the brand and models of trucks they sell.

Chances are they bough 100 straight blades in a few different sizes, and 25 V-plow. Now they have probably sold 23 V plows and 98 straight blades, so they are pushen the straight blades as hard as they can.

They probably make 600 on a straight blade and 300 on a regular or something like that.

Thats what i think, i could be wrong.

Geoff

10. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

I think the dealer doesn't realize that you ask for v and you should get a v. He doesn't care what you have to do. To him a plow is a plow. (we all know better) Heck around here dealers try to stick it to ya .......7.5 meyers poly w/ e-60 pump on say.. new K2500hd... $5000 extra for the plow. OUTRAGOUS!

11. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

I have installed dozens of Western 7 1/2' straight blades on 2500HD's Every single one rode on the bump stops when the blade was raised. The V plow is quite a bit heavier than the straight (50#'s I think). Don't forget that 50#'s at the end of the blade is like 200#'s on the springs. Granted you can turn up the torsion bars but when the plow is removed in the spring will you remember to turn the bars back down?

I am sure I am going to make a lot of enemies with this comment but I simply don't think that Chevy had snowplowing in mind when they designed the front suspension on their HD's.

12. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I will agree with that. The Chevy already sits low to the ground and has little travel. The only truck in my mind that is setup for a heavy plow is a Ford 350 and up. These trucks may not be warrantied with a diesel for a plow but they can still handle the weight.

I would look into somehow boosting the front of the truck.

13. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

V plows carry their weight alot close to the front axel than straight plows, so the extra weight isnt really a concern.
    Most GM trucks come delivered for ride not weight carrying, so even just a turn or two on the torsion bars will increase the load resistance to weight. Meaning it will firm up the ride, while not raising the front end sky high. Add load boosters, or the like to keep the plow weight in check as well.
    While the GM might not be the ulitmate front for plowing, it is still heads and tails above the TTB that was offered by Ford till 97. No one seems to say that a 80-97 F 250 isnt up to the task, and yet very few people can even get an alignment on that series truck let alone keep a plow from tweaking the front end all out of wack.
    All designs have pros and cons, wait till some one with a 450/550 2wd needs new wheel bearings. Buddy had to have his replaced, seems they come as a sealed unit, less than 80K and the cost to R&R the bearings is over 1200.00 for parts alone. Now thats pretty weak for a 15K gvw truck.
    GM will have its new 16K-19K trucks out come January, I will be interested to see how they compare to the 450/550 line.
    Dino

14. Plow Meister

Plowking,

I agree 100% ! In fact, i have never agreed with anyone as completely as I do you. Since I am very new to this site compared to you I try to absorb every comment the elders propose.

The one thing that really bothers me is that Chevy makes you pay for the plow prep package (as does every other manufacturer) yet they don't do anything to the front suspension. Is it O.K. for them to ride on the bumpstops? Just an opinion but a customer asks for a plow prep package and if GM offers it than GM should take into consideration that the customer is actually going to put a plow on the truck and therefore should shange the suspension geometry.

Again, I agree 100% with every word in your last post. Please understand that I am not arguing. Just making an observation.

15. Michael F

Michael F Senior Member

I had a Fisher V put on my 2500 HD extended cab last week. Yes they turned the bars up, no big deal. Plow is actually lighter than the 9' I run on my 99 3500. Trucks have same GVW. Dealer told me with the 4800 lb axle he would put any that I wanted, Fisher recomends. Dealers primary bus is trucks(heavy), mostly suspension work. I would trust what he says.

16. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

I can't speak to the strength of GM's front suspension, however I can speak to the strength or lack of stength to Fords TTB. Having had several 80-97 TTB trucks I can tell you that it was not designed to carry the weight of a plow, I have the bills to prove it!
    IMHO you have too many parts that have the potential of breakage or premature wear. I even had an axle shaft virtually disintergrate on me after a storm.

In the late 80's around here you could see a noticeable shift from 250's to 350's. People still bought the 250, but the people who did plowing as a large percentage of their buisness went almost exclusively to the 350. On this board it is true that most people don't seem to mind the 250 TTB, but if you go to sites such as FD.com and do a search on the TTB suspension you'll see plenty of people who aren't all that happy with that set up, and most of those guys don't even plow.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2001
  17. wolfie

wolfie Senior Member

I picked up the truck today and I could see that the tosion dars had been raised quite a bit... it sat higher in the front than the back with the plow on the ground. when I raised the plow that front sagged but didn't seem that bad to me... then I went over a rough road and the plow hit the road... I think the problem is the lift chain. It doesn't seem to pick it up high enough... When the plow hits the ground there is about 7 or 8 inches of cylinder showing... I thing that is way too much and I plan on taking up the chain tomorrow. Does anyone know how much I should have Showing? The manual says there should be 32 inches of chain between the U-bolts so i'm going to check to see what it is...

Thanks

18. Plow Meister

I will be the first to admit to the lack of strength of the TTB Fords. I plow with my Ford and I simply LOVE my truck. Probably because it was my first 4X4 and I treat it better than my wife in many respects. Also, look for my other posts and you will see that i just ordered airbags for it also. I would never recommend putting a plow on a TTB Ford. NEVER! But for me the damage has already been done. Becides the airbags, I have also installed an ARB air locker, upgraded to larger u-joints, installed Warn premium manual hubs to replace Fords pitiful excuse for an automatic hub. and changed many steering ball joints to heim joints. Finally, I have to spend three days out of every year tearing apart the entire front end to replace the upper and lower ball joints.

Perhaps next year I will do a solid axle Dana 60 conversion and a shackle reversal. Til then, I will just have to deal with the goofy a$$ characteristics of my TTB.

19. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

JD,

I hear ya on the old F 250 front ends. Come 70K sometimes as early as 60K, every F 250 gets pretty much a new front end. They get New ball Joints, U-Joints, Rotors and Pads, cost about 450 in Parts. We do the breaks because the trucks appart.

However the old style F 350s with the solid front axel, doesn't need those parts till like 100k.

The New Trucks have done verry well, not many repairs needed in the front ends. 85K an 99 F 350 dump got new ball joints, and we did the u-joints while the truck was apart.

The Front end of the F 250 HDs might not be the greatest, however if the truck is maintained, and not beat, they do stand up for many many miles.

Geoff

20. wolfie

wolfie Senior Member

The chevy dealer didn't install it. they sent it out... but that could be the case with the fisher dealer... maybe they were short on V-plows and would rather sel it to a bigger customer... Doesn't matter though I have the truck and the V-Plow in my yard now!!