1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

another unimount light question

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by mautore, Dec 28, 2008.

1. mautore

mautore Member

When the plow is disconnected the truck ('02 chevy 2500HD) lights work as the should. When the plow is connected the plow lights are on and truck lights are off, but when I switch to high beam the plow lights turn off. Does anyone know if this is normal? Or do I have a problem somewhere?

2. 6feetdeep

6feetdeep Senior Member

I'd say you have a problem somewhere.

3. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

New or existing install? Relay or iso harness?

4. mautore

mautore Member

Plow was installed before I bought the truck. I believe it's relay. I have what appears to be 6 square relays behind the driver's headlight.

5. ktown1801

ktown1801 Junior Member
    from usa

RE. Unimount light issue

I have the same problem with my 1999 tahoe. This past weekend I went through the entire wiring and found everthing to be correct. Everything works fine but still cannot figure out why I do not have High beams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. mautore

mautore Member

ktown, I'm still working on it, if I find a solution I'll post it for you. If you hear of anything would you please share with us?

7. ktown1801

ktown1801 Junior Member
    from usa

Mautore, will do

8. Crash935

so you dont have high beams on the plow?

Find the relay with the red, white, pink and black wires going into it. Follow the red wire back to the fuse holder and check the fuse. If fues is good, try swapping that relay with the other one that has the pink wire on it. Any differance, If plow low beams dont work now, you need a new relay.

9. mautore

mautore Member

Crash, you hit the nail on the head. My high beam relay was bad. I replaced it and everything works perfect now! Thanks for all the help.
    Ktown, if you read the post, try swapping out the high beam relay (I have the part number and schematic if you need them), it cost me about $12, and was a whole lot better than bringing it for service.

10. ktown1801

ktown1801 Junior Member
    from usa

Tried that the other day, still no high beams

11. mautore

mautore Member

Ktown, I was stumped myself, guess I got lucky. I will continue to ask around. When you switch to high beam do the parking lights or turn signals stay light or do all go dead?

12. Crash935

Your truck should only have 2 relays and if you switched them and no change then we know its not the relays. That leads us to a broken pin at the grill connector, broken wire in the harness someplace or both high beam bulbs blown.

Start first by checking the grill connector for all 9 pins in the plug. After that the easiest place to start is to pull a bulb at the plow and check the white wire for power with the plow plugged in and high beams on.