1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another UHMW question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by rpm-inc, Dec 27, 2011.

1. rpm-inc

rpm-inc Junior Member

Interested in intalling a 1" thick uhmw cutting edge on my 7'6 meyer for a couple reasons.

First is to remove some weight. The plow is installed on a 1/2 ton ford expedition. I realize its not much, but every bit would help.

I will be doing mostly driveways, so I think it would be a good selling point to potenial customers with the noise reduction and less chance of damage to the drives.

I know some people sandwich the uhmw between the steel edge and the plow. That would just make the plow heavier. So my plan is to get a 1" x 6" piece and cut the required bevel on both sides. Then drill the holes in the middle, so I can flip it when the one side gets worn. The cutting edge would be about 1.5 - 2 " below the plow itself. Bolt it using normal bolts, and mcmaster has some thick 1/2 id 2" od steel washers. I can even double the washers if need be. I can also double the amount of bolts by drilling more holes.

Will this work? Thanks for any advice.

2. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

i dont know if your idea work. i can tell you that they put the steel band across the front and bolt through it to dispurse pressure along the edge and keep the bolt from pulling through the rubber edge.

3. rpm-inc

rpm-inc Junior Member

I am sure the bolts won't pull through the hard plastic with a 2" washer on it. Found some pieces semi local. 1" for 75 or 1.25" for 140.

4. snocrete

snocrete Banned

2in washers will work fine.....and beveling a 1in thick uhmw edge is a waste of time imo. They "break in" quick.

5. rpm-inc

rpm-inc Junior Member

Going to pick up the 5" piece today.

6. Harford13

Harford13 Senior Member

You will regret lightening up the blade, a light blade will raise up and not give you a clean scrape, and it will make backdragging nearly impossible. That's already a light plow, I'd reconsider making it lighter

7. rpm-inc

rpm-inc Junior Member

Will 30 lbs make that big of a difference?

8. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Where'd you find them "semi-local"? I'd like to find a piece about 60" long for my JD.

Thanks!

9. rpm-inc

rpm-inc Junior Member

Midland plastics in rockford Il.

10. rpm-inc

rpm-inc Junior Member

Here is the only pic i took.....

[​IMG]

Gonna have to modify the wings a bit.

11. sickleweed

sickleweed Junior Member

Progress report?

So how did the cutting edge work for you???