1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ANOTHER U.S. Maintenance Call

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BRIMOW525, Sep 28, 2003.

1. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

I received a call Friday from US telling me they were looking for a contractor to do snow removal for the local Pep Boys. So I called back and talked to the lady about the property. She told me that I needed to measure the property and fax back my measurements so that they knew what to pay me. I asked "what about the bid?" She told me that the prices were already decided. So I asked what the pay was. 0-5" plow, salt, walks, salt= $195(per push) 5-10" plow,salt,walks,salt= $235 per push. Mine you I haven't measured it BUT, its about 50,000sqft lot. The absolute min I would charge per push would be $300 for plowing lot, $300 to salt lot, & $100 for walks and salt. I told her this and she said "So if you plowed and salted in the morning and came back in the afternoon again you would charge $600?" OH YEA! I'm in the biz to make money esp in weather conditions like that. She said I was more than welcome to summit a bid but she seriously doubted that the company would pay that amount. People are CRAZY I tell you! Who would get up 4 in the morning, start their truck for $195? If anyone is interested, give me your number and I'll pass it on...lol!
  2. NNJSnow

NNJSnow Senior Member

Does this US Maint. Company have a web site?
  3. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

I have no idea. But their prices are so low ball, its pathetic.
  4. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

Last edited: Sep 29, 2003
  5. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

George, second link doesn't work.
  6. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

Fixed it !!!! needed capital "N"

The link in the article takes you to Dentco ......
    Hmmmm.............The fox is in the henhouse!

BRI: Funny their web site exclaims that they measure
    the properties ! They have some fancy equipment pics
    posted also !

They don't say anything about using subs or having no
    equipment of their own.......

They also exclaim how much $$$, time and headaches
    they save their customers!

SURE they do .....By stiffing the subs !:dizzy:
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2003
  7. Pickering snow removal

Pickering snow removal Senior Member

Read your post BRIM and there up here has well , we were called to check out a condo over two major roads and 19 small drives all the walks and salt 0-5 $400.00 5-up $600.00 theres no way i could do it and make money.
    This year the lowballers are the worst i have ever seen i cant figure it out maybe its hey ill go buy a truck and plow and start plowing its gotta be easy right and then ill go to commerical accounts and bid them for half of what there worth screwing all the companys that have insur and have exper and have good equipment oh well every year fellows its gonna get worse iam sure looking at us maint list of cust has all these stores come to my town they well be bringing us maint on there cuff.

Song Alan Jackson There goes the little man!!
  8. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

I just read the web site and it said that " Salting and ice removal are performed at fixed prices per treatment. " Like sonjaab said, they measure the lots etc..... pretty pathetic. I'm going to email her today and ask a bunch of questions and let you all know what the answers are tonight or tomorrow.
  9. CMerLand

CMerLand Senior Member

Do a search for threads on US Maintenance and you should find the one I and several others posted about their experiences with this company. They unilaterally stated what amount of money they were going to pay for services for last years blizzard AFTER they agreed to different prices in OUR contract. They owe my company $ 1,000 for services completed AT THEIR request. I strongly suggest you tread lightly and speak with others regarding their experiences. We are looking to go after our money through small claims court to get the balance we our owed.

However, even with all this, just last week I too got a call asking if we still did snow removal? They HAVE NO BUSINESS being in the snow business.
  10. J.Henderson

J.Henderson Senior Member

If they say what you can charge, it IS price fixing. In my study of contractor/employee relations, I believe price fixing makes you an employee rather than a contractor. Are they going to start paying health, sick pay, vacation and overtime benefits also? :confused:
  11. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

Just wanted to say that Dentco pays their bills, so I did not want them lumped in with the others that may not be as conscientious. Like the others, the customer has to rely SOLELY on the contractor's knowledge and abilities since Dentco has little to offer in that department, IMO.
  12. Foz

Foz Senior Member

I have to ditto the comment about DENTCO paying their bills. Did some plowing for them at a Toys R Us & never waited for $$ more than 30 days.
  13. NNJSnow

NNJSnow Senior Member

Howd they find you? How did they end up calling you, jus run through the phone book or are you on a list?
  14. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

I have no experience dealing with them (US Maint.), but all the recent discussions have brought a question to mind--They tell visitors to their website they, " can save from 5% to 7% on your current expenditure for the same....services that you now receive."

Assuming they're in it to make a profit, I have to wonder whose pocket that 5% to 7%, plus their profit, is coming out of. :confused:
  15. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

I'm not sure how they got my number but everytime I call them back the prices for the services are so low. I don't understand why they call you looking for a bid but then when you call them they tell you what they are going to pay. Ususally I just call them back and get as much BS info out of them and tell them they are crazy for pricing it the way they do and just get practice talking to dumb a**'s. It's cheap fun..lol

ROSELAWN Member

I am on the Verge of a legal battle with Dentco!!!:angry: They were 38 days late on paying me, called them 3 times a day every business day, they shorted me approx. $700.00. They back charged me $260.84. So I called their Chief Operations Officer on 9-17-03 to see what was up. He said one of my crews (mowing) had gotten grass on 2 cars ( on 6-2-03) and Dentco had to pay $260.84 to wash them. Whether or not it was a mobile wash or car wash reimbursement that is an INSANE price. Besides that they didn't inform me there was a problem for 105 DAYS! I told them I have insurance for occurences like that and by paying for the wash and not informing me, that Dentco assumed all liability for the situation per my Attorney and Insurance Agent. I no longer work for/ with them but the battle rages on for the car wash money and they are still withholding the $ even though they have no receipt to prove it ever happened! :confused: The other money was $ 150.00 under payment for trees we planted and the remainder is because they said they over payed me 4 months ago! Their Co. is jacked up from the ground up....my former Boss got transfered to another market and was screwed around so bad that she had a plan to take her own life and almost carried it out because of the cold-blooded things she was told to do to the "contract partners". I could go on for days but, hey, I can't change them. This one is for them I hope they can look their children in the eyes!!!!!
  17. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Hope they wear Kevlar!
  18. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

Thats pretty bad roselawn. I called them back today but got no return call. Imagine that?! I am quickly learning not to do business with people out of state because it seems like things change in situations like that. These people have no idea what the lot size is! They want me to measure it so they know what to pay me! What ever happened to placing bids? This must be the priceline.com of the lawn/landscape/snow removal biz or something.
  19. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

So if they are bidding work they have no idea on measure it up for them and add more sq ft for your trouble.No one should take a contract to plow with out looking at it.
  20. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

Oh I agree cat, but I'm just not going to deal with them. The prices are too low. Plus it'll be may luck that I fudge the numbers a little to my advantage and get caught and have big problems on my hands.