1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another truck problem...please help/

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ProEnterprises, Feb 26, 2005.

1. ProEnterprises

ProEnterprises Senior Member
    from CT

okay, so here what happened. yesterday, I am backing up my driveway. about 2 weeks ago, i wired a pair of 55watt aux. reverse lights to the truck, just by putting them into the main reverse wire ( i now know i shoudl not have done it this way) but just as i am about to put it in park, the battery light comes on (alternator light)

all the gagues shut off, i put the truck in park then turn it off. now i get nothing when i turn the key, all this lights outside work, truck still chimes when the key is in the ignition, but when I turn the key nothing. a new battery was just put in a week ago, because my mecnahnic said the last one was registering dead.

whats the problem, is the alternator shot. MOREOVER, is their any way to get it running to get it to the shop. i tried to jump start it, and nothing.

please help.

2. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Senior Member

Troubleshooting 101

What kind of truck?

3. ProEnterprises

from CT

1994 nissan pickup.

4. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Go through and check your fuses. There might be something on the same circuit as the ignition. If not, check the starter wires. It is possible that it is just something coincidental.

5. danno

danno Senior Member

Yeah, make sure battery posts and cables are tight

6. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Senior Member

1994 Nissan

If it's a standard the neutral safety switch would be my first guess.I would also check the starter relay under the hood in the relay/fuse box.I can help you but I will be in and out most af the day until later tonight.To check the safety switch,on top of the clutch pedal you will see a plunger type switch with wires running to it.Unplug this switch MAKE SURE THE TRUCK IS IN NEUTRAL!!!!!! WITH A FOOT ON THE BRAKE!!!!! and try to start it.If it starts,thats your problem.If not post back let us know.

7. ProEnterprises

from CT

nascar, this truck is an automatic, so i dont know if you can check a saftey switch on an auto or not.

heres my biggest frear though. when i was using it last, i had it in reverse for about a minute with my two 55watt aux reverse lights on, and when i had it backed into my spot, the batt/alternator light came on. i heard a horror story once about frying your wiring harness and it pretty much totalled the vehicle. what happened to me wasnt an explosion or anything, and the vehicle never shut off, i did....so is their any chance this could have happened...thanks alot.

8. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Senior Member

9. ProEnterprises

from CT

nascar-i dont think that it could be the battery, correct me if i am wrong. a new battery was just put in a week ago, when my mechanic had the truck in for an oil change last week, he said my last batter way registering dead (hmm...) he put in a new one. what is strange though...all light still work, radio still works etc... so their must be juice in the battery, right? or how else would they be running.

i tried to jump it quickly last night with no luck, but i may try again now. anything else i could do before the mechanic looks at it?

10. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Senior Member

Ok so everything is fine but no start??

Do you have a voltmeter?and without trying to insult you in any way, are you familiar with working on vehicles?I can give you direction just watching what path i am on.

11. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Don't bother trying to jump it again- waste of time. didn;t work before, not going to work now.
    turn the headlights on and notice how bright they are, now turn the kwy to "start" do the lights dim? If so the starter is probabily shorted if not the starter is not engaging. Probabily, realistically speaking the wiring from the starter- most vehicles have 'fsible links' which are esentialy fuses that are in line with thewiring instead of in a fuse panel. The old chevy's used to blow them on the starter (they were right at the starter) one would blow so the other still supplied power for the lights and stuff but not to start it.

The wiring harness 'could' be damaged from the backup lights, but I doubt it if you didn't smell smoke or anything burning. The light circuits normally short out at the headlight switch in the dash- you will almost always know when it happens (last time it happened to me the truck filled with smoke in about 2 seconds- headlights and engine still on but nothing else worked and the smell...) If you have any mechanical ability a new harness section from a junk yard is the fix- depending on the truck itself it's a day to two days work.

Physically check the wiring (look at it from the rear to the front) and look for anything that looks mented, burnt or broken.

12. ProEnterprises

from CT

thank you both for taking the time to reply, i very much appreciated it. the truck is being trailered to my mechanics in a day or two, so a professional can look at it. i have a feeling it is the starter that got shorted, i did not smell anything burning, hear any noise or see any smoke...only the alternator light came on.

do you guys still think its the starter, or at least a good place to check?

everything else (accessory wise) still works except for the reverse lights?

13. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Senior Member

Did you check the fuses????????

I really think you just popped a fuse or a fusible link.But i still say fuse.

14. NJBuickRacer

NJBuickRacer Member

It's most likely a fuse, as others have said, or the transmission range switch has failed. Have you tried starting it in neutral instead of park? When the backup lights tried to pull the extra amperage through the switch, it could have damaged the contacts. The reverse lights should have only pulled a little over 9 amps, but I'm not sure of the inrush current since you didn't post the type of bulbs. The 9 amps plus the normal load on the circuit may have been enough to pop the fuse, check both the underhood box and the one in the passenger compartment.

15. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

It would be my bet the you blew a fuseable link....Rob