1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another Tranny question

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by elite1msmith, Jun 7, 2008.

1. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

ok, i have a 96 and a 94 cdt, but have had the trans rebuld with in the past 20,000

i seem to have a problem with what i call " the first shift of the day" if the truck is sitting for a few hours, and then started, and driven, it takes forever to get up to speed and into top gear, the rpm goes up no problem, but the truck just creeps.....after one or two times thru the gears, for the most part no problems after that first shifts, almost acts liek the tourque converter has low pressure, or needs to be primed?

also the 94., will accelerate or decelerate, just fine......but try to maintain a speed, and it cant pick a gear....bounces between 3rd and 4th or 4th with the locker/with out the locker...seems like it cant make up its mind, if ur light on the gas,

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

It is common for the torque converters to drain down over night or when their not used for a while.

To elevate this problem do not just start'n go.
    Instead when you start your truck shift it into "N" for 30 sec so the torque converter can fill with fluid. This should help with your problem.

From what I understand their is an anti-drain back valve.
    (a ball check valve) It is commonly removed by tranny re-builders in attempt to boost line psi. It would get stuck and restrict the flow so it is commonly removed.

3. elite1msmith

from chicago

hey thanks for the tip, my trans guy that i talked to last year said somthing about he could turn up the pressure? is that true? ever since i had the trans re build in the 96 it just doesnt run the same, its much slower, and uses more gas, more rpm to get up to speed, the old one seemed like it would idle its way through a brick wall

any ideas about the 94 that will not pick a gear

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

When you had the tranney rebuilt did they put a new toque converter in it?
    A worn converter can lead to the symptoms you are experiencing.
    I experienced something similar with my 98.

Yes, They can boost the line pressure but that is not much help.

It took me two different tranny shops and 3 rebuilds before I got one to
    work like it should.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  5. elite1msmith

from chicago

on the 96 , yes it was replaced, they said they put some kinda high touque one in for towing???, the 94 i dunno, just bought the truck, the guy showed me the repects with a trans rebuild last yr, on it

6. elite1msmith

from chicago

also figured out that the 94 , that will not pick a gear while maintaning a speed...its the tourque locking jumping on and off