1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another Tractor thread

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by milkie62, Jan 27, 2010.

1. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

I have been toying with heading a little bit south to purchase a 100 HP range 2wd tractor with loader.I figure with a 10' rear blade for weight along with loaded tires I should beable to use a 12' box blade on front . Then I could also stack the snow with the loader arms. Is this size blade feasible ?
  2. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Many people here know more about pushing with tractors than me. I do have several JD 100hp 2wd's (7400,7420 and a old 4320) that I farm with and No way in HE11 would Try pushing a 12ft box, I don't even know If it would push a 10ft in wet snow.
  3. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

I just thought the weight of these with loaded tires,rear blade would make it heavy enough.What about jumping up to the 130-150 HP size ?
  4. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I don't know If I would go with any 2wd tractor. I mean you could load the tires/ add wheel weights and a blade but I still don't think it will push well. Why not look for a good 4wd tractor?? I also think you would have better luck mounting the pusher like a blade. The loader arms on a farm tractor are nothing like a hoe.

400 POSTS!!!!!!!!
  5. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

85 hp MFWD Kubota 10' pusher was heavy on the loader arms.Pushed fluffy snow fine, never got to use it in wet snow , and don't think it would of handled it. 2WD 12' no way! 100hp 4 WD 10' pusher I think would be fine either way. Use to use a JD 4020 w/ rear blade, had the horse power but I'm certain it would not have pushed a 12' box. JMO
  6. treeman06

treeman06 Senior Member

HP is not going to be the issue, traction will be (loss of that is due to no 4wd)
  7. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Anyone that tell ya that a 2wd tractor wont push snow is probably not experienced working with em.,:nono: I got 2 1070 tractors with 11ft homemade box blades on front, one has no weight on the back , and the other has a box filled with cemment. Other than calcium loaded tires that it. Put it this way , they sit idle until we have a foot of snow. Then the heavy artillery comes out and helps the 4X4s etc.:D Dont let any one tellya that ya need a 4wd tractor to do thejob. We have 2 4X4 90 HP tractor also, and on a mall park lot the 2wds will push as well. Got one of the 1070s weighed couple years back and it weighs in a 18300 lbs. Just like specing a truck, find out what the front end will take and go for it. The higher the hp of the tractor the stronger the frontendtymusic
  8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'll agree, personally I've never plowed with 2wd's but my dad has. He has they work fine for straight pushing but you have to be carefull not to get stuck stacking. A local farmer has plowed one of the local malls here for 30 years with 2wd tractors. 2wd'd are not good for windrowing snow as they get pushed sideways very easy. If you were to take the identical tractors one without 4x4 and one with there would be no comparison. If you have a 2wd tractor then use it but I'd be hard pressed to buy a 2wd for the sole purpose of plowing.
  9. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Ditto, Have worked with the 2wd, and it will push snow. When we switched over to 4x4 we wondered why we waited so long to get them.