1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

another torsion bar question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by craigd, Nov 23, 2009.

1. craigd

craigd Member

I just bought a 09 chevy 2500hd and I needed to turn up the torsions to get a little more ground clearance for my western mount. My question is...how many turns can I give them without getting an alignment? How many turns are there total? I gave them 4 turns and got about an extra inch of clearance. Ideally i'd like to turn them back down when the winter is over...this is why I want to turn them up as much as I can without messing with the alignment. The last thing I want to do is tear up a brand new set of tires. I'd appreciate any input.
  2. Novadiecast

Novadiecast Senior Member

Every time you turn them say goodbye to your alignment. I turn my bars up 8 turns when I get out the plow for the season. I turn them back down in the spring. And keep your tires rotated.
  3. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

I don't think that turning them up or down affects the alignment much if it all, it is all designed to pivot together. If it did affect it, then the truck would not drive straight as you added weight, such as a plow. I am sure there are very minor effects, but nothing to be too worried about.
  4. k&j Landscaping

k&j Landscaping Senior Member

Turn mine up in winter and back down in spring. Never had a problem, tires have worn just fine. 4-5 turns gave me the extra umph needed for my plow set-up.
  5. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

You couldn't be more wrong in that statement. The torsion bar setting has a direct effect on the camber of the front tires. Turn the torsion bolts without an alignment, and you'll wear the outer edges of your tires bald in no time.

To the OP, I wouldn't go more than 4 turns without checking alignment. At the very least, go to a Tire Discounters or Pep Boys - if it's still within factory specs, they won't charge you.
  6. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I don't think 4 or 5 turns will hurt anything. The thing that will probably make your tires wear more is the added weight of the plow.
  7. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I turned mine up quite a few turns and it threw the alignment way out of line. Conrad's gave me a nice little print out showing me how far out it was from stock tolerances, lol. I would just crank them and leave it. Why spend a bunch on alignments every time you go up or down with the t-bars?? But the choice is ultimately yours since it is your truck and your money!!!!!
  8. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Agreed! If your going to raise them just leave them there, after all it is a truck!
  9. highlander316

highlander316 Senior Member

i went about 4 turns (maybe even 6, I don't remember) with timbrens, and needed an alignment.
  10. ticki2

ticki2 Senior Member
    from NH

It seems to me that you have to determine WHEN you want it to be in alignment. When it's loaded in the back. When the plow is down. When the plow is up. When it's empty.
  11. craigd

craigd Member

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I might get an alignment and just leave it like that. 4 turns seems just right...although i'll probably wait until I plow with it for the first time just to make sure. I just don't want to max them out and end up with ball joint issues, etc. Ballast would have solved a lot of my problem, but I can't have the western receivers scraping my driveway every time I pull in....and that's without the plow on. I never had this problem with the f250, but I still love this truck. just gotta iron out the wrinkles.
  12. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Even a half turn will knock out the alignment. I know I've done many. Now will it knock it out of spec, maybe not, but it will change it. If you turn up the bars the only result you get is further travel for the truck to sag. It will not carry the plow better. The only thing I rec playing with the bars for is to get your push beam/plates to the correct height for the attack angle of the plow.
  13. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

My boss has been doing allignments for 35 years. And he always says changing the t bar adjustments affects the allignment In a very small way. I cranked my t bars 4 turns over a year ago and its never been on the allignment rack and my tires are perfectly worn 22k miles later!:salute:
  14. brad96z28

Ya thats because it was out to start with ! I dont see where it says u had it checked, then turned the bars and had it re checked?Because it would have made the slightest change.
  15. brad96z28

What are u on anyway?:laughing:
  16. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I get my truck aligned each and every year after plowing season. So it was in check prior to me cranking the t-bars. If cranking the t-bars has little to no affect on the alignment, then come out here and show me what is wrong with mine and most everyone else's trucks then. Or you just may have a special truck from GM that the t-bars have no affect on the alignment.
  17. lilweeds

10 years as a mechanic, oh and training by Hunter in alignments. Sure the change may be small, but it will wear the tires if you don't rotate them 5k or sooner. Also like I said it won't have any effect on how the truck carries the plow. You aren't making the bar stiffer your just giving it further to travel.
  18. dlstelma

dlstelma Member
    from GR, MI

Are you sure about this? Last time I rode in a truck that had the torsion bars adjusted to lift the front, it rode like a lumber wagon! You are changing the height of the truck because additional forces are being added from additional twist in the torsion bars. If you want additional travel in the suspension, get a suspension lift that changes the geometry.
  19. lilweeds

The reason it rides rougher is because of the change in geometry and the fact that the stock shocks aren't long enough for the extra travel. Trust me I have played with these bars and plows for long enough to understand this much. Also going up one step in bars does very little to help as well. Steve found that out when he went from the GL to the XG bars. If you have a coil spring squeeze it. It doesn't change the weight of the spring just how far it's been squeezed... If that makes sense.
  20. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If the bars are cranked too far it can affect the geometry enough to affect the ride some. The biggest problem when cranking the bars is that down travel is greatly reduced. Either by the shock absorber, or little/no travel before the a-frame hits the frame.