1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another tire thread!

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by cmo18, Mar 26, 2010.

1. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

Hi guys, sorry to start another thread on tires, but I'm tired of reading all the other threads that seem to wounder all over.

I have a stock 06 2500 ctd quad cab 4wd, I'm looking for a good tire to use all year round. I'm currently running Bf goodrich t/a and love them but they dont last long.

I just order a 2" leveling kit for my truck, and now looking for some tires. I'm looking at either 315/70r17 or 285's or 295's or 305's...some people said that 315 will ruin my front end, some say it wont...My fear is, I spend 12-1300$ and wish I got the bigger size and my second fear is they wont perform in snow.

So I figured I'd ask the experts...All the threads i've read are from 2006.07,08 and 09..so give me your feedback since you have had your tires for a while...

I'm not brand specific and open to anything that's an all terrain tire!

Thanks in advance, look forward to getting some advice...pictures of your dodge truck and tires would be a bonus as well!

2. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Any tire that is really good in the snow isn't going to last if you run it year round.

Nothing beats a dedicated snow tire in the... you got it.... snow!

The wider they are, the worse they'll be in the snow... period.

It all depends on whether you want your tires to look cool, or be really good in the snow. Most tires won't do both.

3. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

Well like I said in my first post, I run t/a's. They look awesome and I find they work decent in snow. By no means do I want a mud tire, but I also don't want a highway tire. I like the tread pattern of general grabber and the t/as
  4. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

Anyone ever run Pro Comp Xtreme All Terrain tires?
  5. sven_502

sven_502 Senior Member
    from ontario

x2. I have 235/85/16 bf goodrich commerical T/A tractions, and they make a joke out of my old tires in the snow. I think they look cool tread pattern wise, just a little bit skinny. They will wear off fast in the summer though.
  6. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

Ya I'm looking more for a tire I can run all year...
  7. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

You can run any tire all year. Each will fall somewhere in the spectrum of snow performance vs. lifespan. I don't know that you'll do any better than the BFG AT KO's... Personally, I hate them in the snow, but that's in comparison to the snow tires I run. I run them in the summer (June through September) and they still see a couple of snows... Enough to remind me why I change tires in the winter.

If you really want to save some coin, get good snow performance, and look cool, get some good skinny short snow tires and put them on some steelies that you can swap yourself. Then, run your tall fat tires all summer, and get good performance in the winter. Your tires will last longer and work better in all circumstances, and you'll be ahead of the game in terms of $$$ within 3 seasons.
  8. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

Mickey Thompson atz are awesome in the snow and my last pair i got almost 40,000 miles on. they are not loud on the highway either
  9. cubicinches

How are they in the snow when they get like 39,000 miles on 'em?
  10. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

Not as good as they are with 38000!lol! The baja atz are what I've ran the last two times I bought tires and the are what I will stick with
  11. cubicinches

My personal truck has BF Goodrich A/T KO's on it for the summer. I run Nokian Hakkapelitta snow tires in the winter, but I buy a brand new set every year. There's nothing like brand new tires for plowing. I usually donate my snows to the needy after one season. :)
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  12. chasity2682

chasity2682 Member
    from canada

Michelin LTX a/T 2 is a nice tire for running year round. They don't look really agressive but they work really well. check tire rack.com they have tones of people rating the tires company write up's and pics. you can also order them really cheap. good luck
  13. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Hankook Dynapro ATM.......tried them for the first time this winter and loved em. Costs a lot less then BFG, Cooper, and Goodyear.
  14. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I ran General Grabber AT2's on my Dakota for 3 years, but it wasn't driven much all year. They worked great in the snow, they were winter tire approved or whatever you call it-they had the snowflake/mountain on the side, and were fairly cheap. With that being said, they are a softer rubber and do wear fairly quick on larger trucks from what I've read.

Also- from looking on other Dodge related forums, the BFG's seem to contribute to death wobble on the 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks. I've personally never been a fan of them due to being way overpriced when compared to the competition.

I now have Toyo Open Country AT's on my Ram and they have some nice traction in the sand/dirt I've been in and are VERY quiet on the road. You'd think I was driving with car tires they don't howl at all. As for snow performance, I don't know but the previous owner of the truck put them on it and he had a plow setup on it.

They are 285/70/17's by the way and I'm looking for some Hummer H2's with 315/70/17's for the summer only.
  15. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

if you can afford to spend $1300 on tires, then you can afford to spend a bit more for a set of used steel rims (these are cheap and are everywhere) with dedicated snows. plus each set of tires will obviously last longer than just one set and you can properly rotate the tires everytime you change them as well as give the brakes a good inspection and hose down the underbody really well at the end of the plowing season.

235 85 16's for the snow, and whatever you want for the off winter months. will your truck look as cool in the winter? probably not. but it will plow a heck of a lot better. if you're seriuos about plowing then you already realize function trumps appearance. until you've plowed with a good 235 85 16 tire, you don't know what your truck is capable of.
  16. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Can't put a 16" wheel on the 3rd generation Rams ;)
  17. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

thanks you,

On my previous truck I ran coopers discovery snow tire, they worked great. When I switched trucks, it had bfg...they work just as good, never really had an issue.

Anyone ever use pro comp a/ts? I got my leveling kit in today, so tires are a must!

Also, anyone have any problems running 35's with a 2 " leveling kit? I know the manufactures of the leveling kit say you will have no problem but even turned hard?
  18. dodge15004x45.9

dodge15004x45.9 Senior Member
    from malvern

My bfg mk2's 255/85/16 load range E are asowen in the snow! Tall and skinny is what you want in they winter.

Got them off craigslist for 400 dollars (guy lost his job and had to sell them he wanted 500) they still had the nipples on them when I picked them up. Now there chewed up for me mudding but they still did dam good in the snow and they wont set you back a ton of money.

Right now on tirerack.com there 191 a pice. MAN THEY WENT UP!

If you need help finding a good deal on tires shoot me a Pm I'll be glad to shop around for you and get you the best price I can find.

On a stock 2500 you can fit 35" no issue. With the leveling kit on there you will be just fine.
  19. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

I disagree, a friend put 35" on his stock 2500 and they rubbed bad...he took the tires back and got 33"...

it seems no one is running pro comps a/t...online i've found some reviews and they get 3/4 stars in the snow but I'd like to chat with someone who has them.

yes i'd like to use them in the winter because when we do get big storms, thats what loaders are for, and for the small snows, a/t seem to work great!
  20. dodge15004x45.9

dodge15004x45.9 Senior Member
    from malvern

Most guys on df that have 2500 2nd gen don't have rub issues.

Did you friend have a plow that could be a reason why they rubbed?