1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

another tire question: pick the best of these

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by VTDave, Sep 20, 2011.

1. VTDave

VTDave Member
    from VT

I am locked into LT275/65/18, which limits my choices. Long story. Help me pick the best of these for slippery conditions (icy/slushy uphills and high-moisture snow generally):

Cooper Discoverer M+S (studdable)(or knock-off: Arctic Claw XSi, Avalanche)
    Blizzak DM-VI (no studs)
    Firestone Winterforce LT (studdable)
    GY Duratrac (studdable)
    Hankook iPike RW11 (studdable)

To my knowledge, these are my ONLY choices. Sorry for another tire thread.
    Dave

2. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

I love my Duratracs. I only run them in the winter. Last season was the first for them. I used Cooper Discoverer ST's before that. They did well in snow. But the Duratracs are excellent in hard packed snow and ice. They are winter rated tire...snowflake on the side.

kevlars

3. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

I have trucks with the Cooper Discoverer M & S, and the Hankook ipikes... both are very good tires. Nothing beats Nokian Hakkapeliittas though... not available in 18" though. I went and bought 17" wheels for my 2011 Chevy just so I could run that tire. :nod:

4. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

that size is found in the BFG A/T

5. scholzee

scholzee Senior Member

Cooper Discoverer M+S

6. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

I run DuraTracs year round. They are awesome in the winter! If they are going to be dedicated winter tires and you stud them, they would be second to none.

7. mmtwin

mmtwin Member

I have been running winerforce for about 10 years. I have dedicated snow tires. I always get them studded. I love them and the price

8. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

Where do you find Winterforces for a truck? Tire Rack only has smaller sizes.

kevlars

9. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Of those tires its the Blizzak hands down for traction

10. 97S104x4

97S104x4 Senior Member

i hate my goodyear duratracs!! only lasted 15k miles

11. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

What are you running your Duratrac on? Are they E range tires? Miine have probably 10k on them and they are wearing very well.

Kevlars

12. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

I have seen the winterforce for trucks at sears.

13. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

coopers(studded), blizzaks or winterforce(studded) i own all 3 and love them all.

14. ddb maine

ddb maine Senior Member

To continue the discussion, I have heard alot about the Nokian Haakkakapieieltos..... They only come in an 8ply? called the local distributor. Are they that friggen good that its worth stepping down in weight handling?

15. ddb maine

ddb maine Senior Member

235/85/16 comes in 10ply. reasonably priced too considering you can only get them from dealers.

16. rick502

rick502 Member
    from Vermont

Dave - Cooper M&S are my favorites - 90% of the traction of the Goodyears or Blizzaks at nearly half the price. They do wear wuickly in summer but all the tires listed will as they are proper snow tires and made with the softer rubber. A couple of my friends are runnning the Winterforce with pretty good results and price is even lower than Cooper. Only down side they report is Winterforce produce a lot of road noise

17. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

You need a different distributor... They come in ten ply. I buy a set every year.

They are positively unmatched in design. I'm not going to get into what could be a huge argument with these guys here, but if you actually know what makes a snow tire a good snow tire, then it is obvious. They are expensive. And, as far as tread life, they are not for year round use... But if you're looking for traction, nothing else compares... And I've run them all.

Oh... and it's spelled like this: Hakkapeliitta :D

18. rick502

rick502 Member
    from Vermont

No argument, Hakkapeliitta is great tire. They certainly don't fit every budget though and they aren't available in as wide a variety of sizes like some of the other tires here. Nokian was the first company I know of to offer tires with low void area and high sipe density which along with soft rubber compounds did set them appart from other manufacturers. I do belive other companies have caught on and offer tires with similar or near similar performance for less $

19. ddb maine

ddb maine Senior Member

I did find them in a 10 ply, just not in my stock size, but taller and more narrow is better anyways. As for price they are 200+- less than goodyear dura traks and only 150 more than the generals.... thats pretty unbeatable. I think I know whats going on the plowing rims.

hakakpelitos... nope. aint happening

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  20. ddb maine

ddb maine Senior Member

wait wait wait a second... do they only last you one year? even with only 5-6 months of use? or do you run them full time regardless? or do you have a bunch of trucks and you rotate new ones in?
    I was sort of hoping to get a few years out of them if they are off the truck spring-fall and during dry spells....

How many storms do you get out of them and how many miles are driving between storms?