1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another tip for new guys.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grandview, Feb 13, 2015.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

When your plowing out a lot watch for where the boss parks or the guy in charge,Always make sure their spot is cleaned out and if possible plowed path to the door. Thumbs Up

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

One of our properties has a small lot on back side for executives. This lot is spotless when we are done. Shovel and hand salt around any cars.

3. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

Just about the first question I ask when bidding on a property

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We try and treat everyone like a big shot, we don't discriminate.

5. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Try to treat the whole lot the same, but yes, employee parking is done first, then customer. All before they open..

6. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

X2 for me as well. I don't care who parks where, because the whole lot is going to look its best when I'm done.

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

There's a comment in there someplace................

8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

It's always good to know on what side your bread is buttered.

The whole lot is serviced to the same level as the boss's parking spots.

9. kimber750

So you guys are gonna leave snow next to the guys car that is writing a $50,000+ check every month for snow removal? Or are you shoveling snow out from in between all the cars in the lot?

10. derekslawncare

Shovels are for sidewalks, plows are for lots. I DON'T SHOVEL LOTS. If the plow doesn't fit, it stays until I do my overnight checks, at which point I clean spots of the lot that were blocked by cars when I plowed. If they want there spot cleaned while I am there plowing, they come out and move cars long enough for me to get their spot, then pull back in after I clean, which some will do. And for what it's worth, I don't bill out 50k worth of snow services for all accounts combined in one season, so I don't think we are quite comparing apples to apples.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  11. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Sure, is he better than anybody else?

If we start shoveling between cars, our rates are going to be as high as NY\LI\NJ, and I need to hire about 20 more people.

It's winter for them, just like it is everybody else. Thumbs Up

12. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Couldn't you just nail a 2x4 to each klompen and kick the snow out the way for the big wigs real quick? You probably need to get out to pee anyways, especially if you're still drinking like you used to............:drinkup:

On a more serious note, we don't shovel between cars, but we certainly try to do a better job around the office lots and entries than a factory entry, for example, during a storm. It has little to do with class structure, but more to do with the fact that the office staff is less likely to be dressed for the crappy weather (high heals, dresses, not to even mention the ladies) and the office floors don't hold up to snow tracked in as well as factory/wharehouse floors do.

13. derekslawncare

My thoughts EXACTLY!

14. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

I admit I do...The president, head of maintenance, or CEO gets their spaces shoveled if need be, that includes up behind the curb stop if it has one and also if it's a right sided space next to an island we shovel off the curb edging of the island because he might step out onto the curb if he parked too close. I have zero problems doing this for free.
    Steve

15. kimber750

This guy is the owner of 90% of the property we service. What ever it takes to keep him happy.

16. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Going by the title of the thread I was expecting to see "Don't eat yellow snow......."

17. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

They live in northern MN, if He or she can't walk in some snow on an occasion it's time for them to go to South Beach FL.
    hey,maybe we could get a ice tent, heat it.
    and use as a mobile shelter so they can get to their vehicle without being exposed to the elements?:D
    That we had just removed the snow from and scraped the windows on.;)

The whole lot is all most the most important one spot.
    and it's not the Doctors or the guy who signs the check.
    & if I have to I will shovel the handicap parking spot.

Just today I was thanked by one of the DR's as he stood in the snow wearing his $100 dollar dress shoes.

I guess Minnesotans are tougher than????...wesport

:waving:

18. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

Tell him to get some nicer shoes.... Cheapskate

19. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

:D s:They were his go'en out to play in the snow shoes.

as he didn't want to mess up his nice ones walking in that snow.

Thumbs Up

20. derekslawncare

I can certainly understand your point of view. If I was relying on one person for 90% of my income, I would make DAM sure he/she was well cared for. But like I said, I'm not going to get out and shovel a parking lot, but will be more than happy to run back through his spot with my blade if he moves the vehicle, which like I said, some will do. They park up along the curb along the front of the building, and as I move snow out away from the building, at some point, they come out and back their cars up. I make a couple passes through with the plow and they pull back into their spots. Takes 5 mins at the most. I do then get out with my 5 gallon bucket and salt under and between the cars when I treat the lot so that I am sure to get their spaces as well in case the spreader doesn't get in there.

Short of that, they wait til I come back overnight and spot clean.