1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

another timbrens question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bcf, Jan 4, 2004.

1. bcf

bcf Senior Member

I put a set on my 1990 F250. There was almost 2" between them and the axle until i Put the plow on, now they ride on it, even anfter I took to plow off. So now when I push down on the bumper it only moves up and down maybe 1/4 to 1/2". Is that normal and ok for the truck? Even when I jacked the truck up on the frame the sagging springs didn't curve any. I was thinking of geting X springs whenI can afford it. Or shuld I even bother?

2. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

I have a set on the same truck. I am assuming you had 2" between the axle and the timbren after letting it down off the jack and it didnt settle back the the normal ride height. Mine has maybe 1/4" between the timbren and the axle (spring plate). With my 8" HD Fisher plow it sags at most 1/2" which is 1/4" till it touches the timbren, then the timbren compressing 1/4". It has a little extra springyness to the front when driving with the plow but not bad. For $150 you can't beat the results.

3. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

Actually, it sits right on the spring plate, no 1/4" I only get 3/8" sag with the plow up.

dsc01395.jpg

4. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

This is a pic of it. My front radiator support mounts are deteriorated allowing the nose to sit about 3/4" lower and the gap between the door and fender to go from large up high to touching down low. That may make the truck look like its sagging more.

newplow1.jpg

5. bcf

bcf Senior Member

I guess it didn't settle. But I didn't use the metal frame bolt-ons that came with the timbrens. I don't know if they sent me the wrong model, but the only holes in my frame were the two on the bottom where the original bumpstop frame bolted to, and one in the middle of them that the bumpstop bolt came up through. So I just took the frame off, and slipped the bolt up through the timbren and middle hole.So then I shouldn't really worry about not having any give up front? I just figured that with no actual shock give the front end might start to wear itself down. Thanks for the help.

6. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

The kit doesn't come with bolts, you reuse the shock tower bolts. You remove the top of the shock and move it aside, then remove the 2 bolts holding the shock tower (the bracket the shock bolts to up top). You then place the L bracket with the timbren attached to it over the shock tower and put the bolts back through. You can see 1 of the 2 bolts and the bracket in the picture I posted. I would not mount them any other way.

7. boogiedown40

boogiedown40 Junior Member

I was thinking about getting a set for my 1989 f250. How good does this product really work? How is the truck effected when the plow is not on? Thanks.

8. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

Drop the keyboard, and go buy some...don't look back...just go. Put them in and then come back with the smile on your face. There is no downside to them, you can't go wrong.[​IMG]