1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

another thread about actuators.....

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by Deerewashed, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Deerewashed

Deerewashed Senior Member

Hey Guys,

I got a 6x4 gator, and after 4 years of plowing with just weight, and power lift, i am ready to upgrade. i have tire chains, lights, new cutting edge, and maybe a cab coming. my issue now is creating power turn, i have seen pics of your hydra motion actuator, and would like to know the specs on yours if you have them, and what you would recommend for a 72" plow. if the hydra motions arent to expensive i would do 2, for those heavy snow, but if they break the bank i will do one. how much did your actuators cost? i noticed on others that they all have these bulky hydraulic pacs attached to them, are they hidden on hydra motions? are there any other brands that are like this? those just seem to bulky to have mounted on a pivot point. do hydra motions have pivot points on both ends of cylinders?

what do you guys use for actuators? what would you recommend?

Thanks guys, sorry for the rant.

Hank

2. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

Are you talking about one of these? If so, they don't use hydro oil.

[​IMG]

3. Deerewashed

yeh those are them, do the hydra motions have those somewhere else? based on pics i have seen they dont have those motors next to them.

4. hghgrad

hghgrad Member
    from MI

You're thinking about hydraulics that havean external pump. Linear actuators are self contained. They do make a self contained hydraulic cylinder that looks alot like a linear actuator.

5. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

I'm confused by this. Not sure what you mean. The pic is of a electric actuator. If you want hydraulic operated you'd need a entirely different system that will cost a large chunk of money.

6. Deerewashed

i will try to be more clear, what is a hydra motion brand actuator? do they have an external or internal pump?(all the pictures of hydra motions i see dont have those external pumps attached to the side, where are those on hydra motions.)

7. hghgrad

hghgrad Member
    from MI

Those are just self contained hydraulics. The pump is built into the end of the cylinder rather than having a dedicated pump for multiple cylinders.

There are also linear actuators that don't contain any hydraulics and are strictly electric. Those are more common and a bit cheaper.

8. Deerewashed

ok then, what actuator would you recommend for a 72 inch plow....that is fast enough that it wont be a *****, and doesnt kill my pocket.

9. AllJDNoCattle

AllJDNoCattle Junior Member

Hi All,

First post here... I have plowed with that same setup as Deerewashed since 2001 and I am also looking at adding the power angle. I have the electro linear actuator but am working on the wiring... John Deere wants $120+ for the up-down wiring harness. Looking to replicate that and use a joystick in place of the two momentary rockers.

Here is my rig in action...
    http://youtu.be/0g30nijylf0
    http://youtu.be/0_azCVVvKrQ
    http://youtu.be/W_crnjVDVPE

Enjoy!

=======================================
    1997 JD 345 (54" MMM, 42" FB, 42" FSB, MC519)
    2000 JD 6x4 Gator (Curtis Cab, AM/FM/CAS, 72" FB, Power Lift Box and Blade, Custom Alternator)
    2005 JD 2210 (FEL, 54" MMM, 54" FB, , iMatch, LX4RM, 60" RB, 60" LR)

10. Deerewashed

that is exactly what i want to do, i want a joystick to mount to the shifter, what actuator are you gonna use? (as in brand)

11. AllJDNoCattle

AllJDNoCattle Junior Member

Found it on Joystick plus Hardware I think you had mentioned that site in an earlier post.

I have my up and down in the panel right behind the shifter between the seats. I have not taken that panel off yet but I think the Joystick will fit there.

I think I am going to go with the John Deere wiring harness because I can't figure out how to replicate it or why they use relays. I am a Mechanical Eng not an Electrical Eng. If the $120 will save my actuator over time it will be worth less agony now and pain down the road.