1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another "take my plow truck to the dealer for warranty work" story

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by LwnmwrMan22, Feb 22, 2008.

1. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Last week I was out plowing and I had a very very noticable vibration related to the engine.

It felt like you were on a massaging chair just sitting still, and would change with the increase or decrease of the RPMs. The mirrors would "vibrate" as well.

It's a 2006 with 26k miles on it. I have another 2006 with 24k miles on it (you can see them in the pictures forum under "The Twins") so I drove that one just to make sure I wasn't imagining things.

Anyways, took it into the dealer, and they put it on the rack. They asked if the check engine light was on, which it wasn't, and then came back as said there were no codes, no injector problems, nothing, but asked me if I'd backed into anything.

I said yeah, that I'd backed into a cement post about 2' out of the ground.

He said that he'd seen the tailpipe was bent forward, and that when they put the truck on the rack, the exhaust pressure was quite high/low, can't remember which one. I think high.

Anyways, the tech felt that it was probably the exhaust was pinched off and causing the vibration because the exhaust couldn't flow. $400 to fix, replacing the exhaust system from the back of the muffler to the end.

I didn't care at this point, with snow in the forecast, and said "how long". They said the part would be in the next morning, 24 hours and I can have my truck back. I say "okay".

I call the next morning because I'd left a paper in the truck I needed for a meeting with a property manager, so they say "sure, come down and get it, the part isn't in yet".

I head down there, and the tailpipe is sitting on the floor, no one working on the truck. I get the paper and leave, and the dealer calls about 5 minutes later and says "we figured out the muffler is shot, the baffles are broken and that's what's causing the blockage. We'll warranty the muffler, but you've got to pay for labor, another $80".

I'm starting to think I'm getting taken, but what are you going to do?? They've already got the truck ripped apart, gotta finish the job.

I get the truck today after 3 days in the shop....

The warrantied the entire thing. Said that the reason it bent was faulty hanger brackets and that I backed into a snowbank and the exhaust system was damaged.

The manager apologized for it taking so long, and hoped it wasn't an inconvinience, and that they appreciate my business!!

Chalk one up to a dealer that understands how business gets done, rather than automatically deny anything if a truck has a plow harness on it.

2. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Just curious as to what dealer this is? i am looking to buy a newer dodge diesel this summer and i always have a hard time finding good dealers. if you dont want to post it on the public forum you can PM me.

3. LwnmwrMan22

Forest Lake Dodge.

I will say this however... it's taken me 10+ years to get to this point.

The service manager knows me by name, as well as the guys at the desk that write up the order.

They all know that I run synthetic fluids in everything, so the only thing they have to worry about is the only thing I mention. I don't want them doing any other service on anything.

4. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Forest Lake Dodge has a great service department. I have had great luck with them and Rosedale Dodge, both are Denny Hecker dealers.

So your truck is all fixed?

5. LwnmwrMan22

Yep, we're good to go.... now bring on SPRING!!! I'm tired of waiting for it to snow....

6. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I also backed into a frozen snow pile and bent my exhaust all to he!! Unlike you, my whole exhaust was shot and nothing was going to be covered under warranty. My total out-of-pocket expense was $600 :cry:

7. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

Ouch, what kind of truck?

8. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

04 Dodge diesel 3500...I can't be too upset because I haven't had anything else happen to me so far this year (knock on wood)

9. Kingwinter

Kingwinter Senior Member

are you sure that vibration just wasnt from having the music too loud? :)

10. Red_Rattler

Red_Rattler Senior Member

IMO if its not covered under warranty, there's plenty of great aftermarket exhausts that are turbo to tailpipe that cost less than 600. Then it gets upgraded to all 4inch which improves flow and helps on alil bit on hp and tq. Just another option to stay stock and spending more $$$

11. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Didn't Dodge go with a 4" exhaust after 2004? :confused: