1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another stupid question.....

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Capodosto, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Capodosto

Capodosto Member

I have a 1992 Jeep Cherokee two-door that I use to plow only my own driveway (about 600 feet). I have only had to plow my driveway maybe five times so far this season. At the beginning of the season when I first plowed with it, I noticed a crack in the windshield right in the middle about two inches above the dashboard. Each time I plowed, the crack grew about three inches and it is now a long S-shape about 3/4 of the way up the windshield. It looks like it is only through one layer of glass (I believe our windshields are two layers of glass with some kind of clear plastic laminated inside, right?). My jeep is a standard shift and I am not a professional plow guy, so when I hit a snowpile to stack the snow I usually end up hitting pretty hard with the clutch disengaged and I stop a lot quicker than I think I would with an automatic transmission which would tend to "push" a little if I were only using the brakes against the idling engine.

My question is: Is this thing going to implode in my face one of these days? That would be pretty inconvenient in the middle of a blizzard. This Cherokee is a single-purpose vehicle, I only use it to plow my driveway and it only cost me $895 (165,000 miles) to buy so I would hate to spend two or three hundred bucks on a new windshield if it is NOT gong to implode during a storm. How do windshields break? Do they typically explode into little bits dramatically or do they just keep growing cracks until you cannot see through them any more? If the latter is the case, then I'll probably leave it alone for now and save my money.

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

you have what they call safety glass,it just wont explode on you but don't take it on the road ,if the crack is in your line of sight you can be ticketed .have you checked to see if there are any used one's available ?i would just run it if it does not see the road . :waving:
  3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Even when they get hit, they stay together. It's two layers of safety glass bonded to the plastic core. The glass breaks into little tiny pieces, like a quarter inch square. It stays bonded, for the most part, to the plastic.

I have driven almost a year with a cracked windshield. Once it stops growing, it will be fine. The defroster is probably doing as much damage as plowing.
  4. Capodosto

Capodosto Member

Defroster? Hmmmmm...

That is interesting about the defroster possibly causing damage. One thing that is new this year is that I had to replace the blower motor at the end of last season. Now it blasts a lot more hot air than it used to, maybe I should lower the control from its usual "high" position

Thanks guys,.