1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another strobe thread...

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Antnee77, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

So as I completed the wiring for the rear hide-a-ways in my truck today, I decided to try them out. I hooked up the power and ground leads, and proceeded to hit the switch. Then I grabbed a short wire with stripped ends to apply +12v to one of the the control outlets on the power supply. The strobes worked fine and looked great. I then shut it off, and in an attempt to try out another flash pattern, I accidentally applied +12v to the black wire on amp connector of one of the strobes. So now I want to kick my own a$$, but before doing so, I try to get the strobes to work again, and nothing. I tried everything to get them to work, but they wouldn't budge. I then used my test light to find out that there is no longer any power going to the power supply. (I used the factory upfitted switch and relay that is made for a roof light). Do you guys think I blew the relay, or possibly the power supply? The fuse on the supply is still good.

2. kemmer

kemmer Senior Member
    from NJ

Theres no power going to the power supply? lets start with the basics, is the switch on? does the ignition have to be on? check the fuse again and make sure it the right fuse. what kinda of strobe box is it, you may of blew a resistor or something that i did once. Before u try to open it, some have a label that are a tamper guard. if you break it the warranty is void.

3. Antnee77

from RI

The switch is on. The ignition does not have to be on, but it is anyways. It is an Able-2 Show Me 21.7460. It's a few years old, so there's definitely no warranty on this thing. I am pretty sure it is just the relay. There is power going to the relay, but no power coming out of it.

4. kemmer

kemmer Senior Member
    from NJ

then its the relay if powers going in and not out

5. Antnee77

from RI

Or so I thought. After a good hour of trying to diagnose this problem, I came to realize that I was getting +12v at the thin 18 awg. white wire coming from the fuse panel, and -12v at the 14 awg. orange wire. When this thing actually operated, I had +12v at the 14 awg. brown wire and -12v at the 18 awg. black wire, both of which are wired to the relay. So it turns out that somehow, now the relay is switching nothing. I ended up using a tap splice to tap into the white wire with the brown one. What a PITA.