1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another Strobe question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by pollini, Dec 11, 2003.

1. pollini

pollini Junior Member
    from MA

Guys...I know that this may have been asked before...but I could use some help.

After surviving my first NorEaster with my new (new to me) truck (GMC 2500HD and new 8'Fisher), which I picked up from the dealer as it was snowing. :D

I need some warning lights. I plan on going with the hide-a-way-strobes. But they are asking $100 per bulb installed. I was hoping to get four rears and four forward, but $800 seems high.

SO I was wondering if you could recommend a kit (Whelan or other) maybe off of ebay (or anywhere) that I could install myself. Has anyone out there done this? I have no experience with strobes...but plenty with other things (back-up lights/radios/other electrical stuff).

What about strobe bulb location...in the reverse and back-up lights? I was told that locally they should not be in the rear stoplights.

I am also installing some Timbrens, any other recommendations for this nubie?

2. Huften Lawn

Huften Lawn Junior Member
    from CT

I was planning on doing the hide-a-way strobes also but I had a few reservations. The strobe location might be disturbing while plowing since they are right behind the plow. Some refer to this as washout. Also, some vehicles do not have amber lenses for turn signals. This would either require you to use a color bulb in the reverse lens, but on my 2002 Ram this is not an option. Instead I chose to purchase a Back Rack cab protector and installed (2) single flashing Whelen amber strobes. The lights are very small and have a low amperage draw. These two lights provide 360' warning without obstructing my vision. Hope this helps and good luck.

3. Boutallnite

Boutallnite Senior Member

Do they make strobes that can be put into Wrangler stock back lights?

4. pollini

pollini Junior Member
    from MA

Most strobe bulbs fit into a 1'' hole. Basically you will need to drill out a hole in the back of your light. The buld should come with a water tight gromet.

5. carlriv2

carlriv2 Senior Member
    from Mass

I got my set from JC Madigans in Harvard.... They have good sets and they are real easy to install. I only put them in the amber lens in the back of my Chevy trucks. I chose not to put them in the front because of the reflection off the plow. I think you could put them on two different switches (front and rear).

I believe in Mass you can have amber, white, or red facing rear and amber or white facing forward (not in headlights).

6. Stovezbt

Stovezbt Junior Member

IMHO just about anyone could install a set of hide-a-ways. I have whelens and have not had any problems. It is the 90 watt 6 head unit. Actually we have three total, one currently being installed. I first put mine in with a homemade switch set-up, which was not that nice of a setup. I bought all of ours from ebay. Seller was strobesnmore. He also has a custom switch that is awesome and worth every penny. He has always been good to deal with and shipped quick. Go to ebay and search for strobes or whelen. I can run my fronts at night because I have my T-bars cranked and it clears the plow when down. IMHO in rarely need them at night because of rotators on the roof, but have saved me during the day. For that reason, if you get a set I would get higher watts. My 90's are very visiable during daylight. Plenty of of old threads on this topic that might help.

later

7. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

i would reccomend nova thats what i have and you only need 2 in front 2 in rear that makes 4 correct.so get the 4 head complete pacage due the install yourself its very simple.it will cost about 180 dollars.nova makes good stuff its whalen quility without the name and their made right in ct.

8. phoenix827

phoenix827 Member

I gotta ask, How many of you have extra reverse lights? Then WHY do you need the weak stock ones? Fill the hole with a amber strobe and enjoy!
    Just my $.02, but I know on my dodge I was putting blue wigwags (yes, vfd) in the reverse lights since I put tractor lights on for reverse lights.

9. Rob Abner

Rob Abner Junior Member

Search on ebay for "Tomar" ( brand name) or "strobesforless" (seller name ) .

I am not involved with this company but they did me right and at a fair price for what I have been told are absolutely the best strobes on the market. 4 heads and cables and 6 head power supply for 180.00 I think and two additional bulbs can be added later.

10. hoagie

hoagie Member

11. nancytalbot

nancytalbot Junior Member

If you have a basic knowledge of electrical wiring you can install a system yourself. Also, many of the manufacturers of any strobe system that you purchase have tech's that you can call if you run into any problems. Their websites should have the numbers for you.

Nancy :angel:

12. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i wont spen money on strobes esp 800 i have a yellow strobe it cost 60.00 bucks it does it job rather by more equip and a back up light for like 15.00 each

13. mcs lawn rescue

mcs lawn rescue Junior Member

GALLS.COm

listen im a firefighter in NJ and the best place to get strobes is www.Galls.com they sell to fire and emargency personell.there prices are good and strobes are easy to install anyway so you would save on instalation prices

chris

14. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i was a voly i tottaly forgot about galls thanks for the link :D

15. NHSnow

NHSnow Junior Member

I purchased my Whelen 4-head (2 front, 2 rear) hide-a-way strobe kit from www.sirennet.com . Just looked and they are currently selling it for $185. Easy to install yourself. I doubt very much if Galls can come close on this price.

16. ChipsEarthWorks

ChipsEarthWorks Senior Member
    from CT

try these guys this is where I got my light the even have packages so you dont pay as much and they come with wiring and switches try them out:nod: :nod: www.strobesnmore.com

17. thannigan

thannigan Member

i would link u some sites, but it looks like theyve already been sent it to this thread. I reccomend that you don't put and hide-a-flash in the front because the plow will hide it. You'de probably be better off in the back reverse lights, or a grill light mounted on the tool box if you have one. Or you could take the cheap way and buy a magnetic 12volt self contained strobe for under $100.
    TIM:drinkup:

18. GMCplow

GMCplow Junior Member

Don't forget that you will need at least an inch and a half clearance from plastic surfaces in the housing to keep from having a melt down (for most manufacturers). Strobes generate that kind of heat. You could also assemble a halogen hide away system, hooked up to an external flasher. Hologen bulbs (twist lock into a 1" hole the same way as the strobe tubes). Would be cheaper, since you wouldn't need a strobe power supply. Would not be quite as eye catching as a strobe system, but might be adequate given budget/other constraints. Just wanted to throw another option on the table for you.

Steven

19. pollini

pollini Junior Member
    from MA

GMC Plow,

Great option...I'll look into it.

Thanks

20. turfguy

turfguy Member

I have had great luck with a local company, Strobesupply.com.
    and I think that there website also reflects a sale going on right now until christmas. I have several sets of hideaway strobes but I just keep going back to roof mounted 360 strobes. they seem to just be much more visable. give them a call!