1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another step closer

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Alan, Nov 9, 2000.

1. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Well, one more thing behind me as far as being ready. I got the salt shed crammed full today. I had put in 5 tons about 10 days ago, gave it antoehr 5 tons today. All treated with Magic and ready to use. Plows are ready, I'll mount the undertailgate spreader on the 5500 this weekend. It needs a bearing on one of the feed augers but it's usable as is if I get desperate. As soon as parts get here from CPW I'll get a new plug on the tailgate hopper and THAT will be ready. The 10' Western is still on the bottom of the list, it may be a while before that project sees the light of day. Too many projects, not enough hours in the day right now. I'm all set for help when it snows but right now I'm a one man band and there just doesn't seem to be enough time for everything this year.

2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Alan I know the feeling. On friday my 45 tons of salt get here, and tues it gets sprayed. I bought a $ 700 plow truck, and all I got was the plow, the frame was rotted through, so we are now swapping body to new frame. To much work for a ford, the checy gods are cursing me for buying a ford. Anyway the ford should be about complete by end of next week.
    Dino

3. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Well like i said, I built another 3 pull plows this year. The hard part is done, the fab work, now it comes electrical and hydro install. Well, I ordered 3 hydro pumps from nothern tool and eqiupment, they don't even tell you what you can use as a fluid. This weekend, I plan on mounting the pumps to the truck, and running the hydro lines. I added the brackets for the pump, in the front of the pick up bed, behind the cab. The controlls will be a single wire ran through the cab, with a hand held controll supplied with the pump (the control can easly be stored behind the seat).

BTW, If you ever need hydaulic hose, go to your parker store. I bought 20' of 3/8 3000 psi, with fittings for 75 dollars. Parker hydraulics are first rate and high quality. Even with my discount at Napa, the retial price i get from parker is still cheaper (i don't buy enough hydro stuff to get a discount, just an account).

OK Dino, you said you paid 700 for the truck and plow, and 100 for the new frame, you you have 800 bucks into a 1-ton truck. Even if it's a ford, whats so bad about that.

Geoff

Geoff

4. plowking35

from SE CT

Didnt say it was bad, just not what I am used to. If it was a chevy, it would be done already. I know GM trucks mid 80's inside and out. The ford is a whole new game, larger learning curve. Found the bellhousing I needed,now just need to figure out the fuel tank debokale and things will go back together. New nose is coming on Sat.
    Geoff with the fuel tank, I need to find a tank that will fit the 76 frame, yet take the pump and sending unit from an 88. Any idea??
    Dino

5. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Well thats a tough one. Because can't take the guts out of the 87's and put it into the 70s. I think I would proably fab my own brackets to hold the 80's fuel tank into the 70s frame. Then just build a flat bed that will accomidate the different tank mounting. I will keep thinking, only right now thats all I can think of.

I know chuck's a chevy man in and out, however he might know of some other ways of converting stuff from year to year.

Geoff

6. plowking35

from SE CT

Frame on the 88 is wdier than the 76, so the rear tank wont fit between the rails. The inside the frame fuel tank on the 88 may work on the outside of the frame on the 76. I might mount a outside the frame fuel tank from a mid 80's chevy, and use a TBI low pressure electric fuel pump to supply the higher pressure ford EFI pump. Then all I have to do is wire the sending unit and fuel gauge. Any other ideas??

7. Finecut

Finecut Junior Member

Gas Tank

Plowking35,

Have you looked into the using a tank from a Ranger? Frame would be much narrower and would also have electric fuel pump. The fuel pump from 4.0 should be able to supply 300 straight six. Just a thought!

8. plowking35

from SE CT

That is a great idea, I will check that out on monday.
    Thanks you.
    Dino

9. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

Why not ask lawrence stone for suggestions on this project? ;)