1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

another snowblower question

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by 98_dakotasport, Nov 6, 2005.

1. 98_dakotasport

98_dakotasport Junior Member

Hello all,
    I am new to the site and need some advice on which snowblower to purchase. I have searched and found some good info, but not specifics. I live in southwest michigan and this will be my first snowblower, shoveling is getting old. I have narrowed it down to three models (all are two stage and 5.5hp) Ariens 5520E $599, Husqvarna 5524SE $699, and Troybilt Storm 5524 $599. I have a packed gravel drive about two car lengths wide and long. Is one of these models better than the other? Pros or cons to either one? I have heard and read of people owning Ariens that are still running strong at 15-25 years old. But are they constructed as well today? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. steinerman

steinerman Junior Member
    from ohio

snow blowers

Hi have you looked a toro
    We have toro and troybilt. The toro have less down time then the troybilts. We replace a lot of belts on the troybilts, but we also have a good dealer that just give us a back up to use if one goes down in a snow storm. Good luck and have fun blowing snow

3. 98_dakotasport

I have ruled out the torro due to the rubber flaps instead of an auger. and i dont think the rubber flaps would work well on my gravel drive

4. MBB

MBB Senior Member

I think you might be better off with the rubber flaps on that gravell once it freezes solid, othewise you might be shearing a lot pins when the auger hangs on a high spot. I have a gravel area at home real pita.my $.02 worth.

5. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

totally agree

6. bobingardner

bobingardner Senior Member

The Husqvarna has a bigger auger and remote chute rotation control but the chut control looks like a cable and pully setup. Other than that they look like pretty similar machines. I'd go with the Ariens based on experience. I'd pass on the Troybilt. I owned one before they were bought out by MTD and didn't care for it.

7. 98_dakotasport

thanks for the replies. after reading different post and talking to my local small engine/sales shops, i ended up going with the ariens 5520e. better quality built than the others i listed (in my opinion). it has grease fittings on the auger, thicker metal housing, metal chute, just overall better quality after going and looking at them first hand.