1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another Slow angle question, kinda different

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by gunsworth, Jan 28, 2011.

1. gunsworth

gunsworth Senior Member

I have a 7.6" standard straight blade, ~5yrs old. I have done nothing but replace fluid. the last couple years it has been very slow to angle, and even hesitates under load, I can hear the motor working for a couple seconds before any movement.

However, i noticed if I tap "up" on the joystick to release float, then angle, it moves just about as fast as if no load at all. Can the "float" position be robbing it of power or something?

Fluid has been done along with the screens, I also cleaned up the grounds the best I could, actually went and cleaned just about every connection I could find. Also replaced the plowside harness this year so all plowside connections are about as clean as they get

2. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

At some point the motor will need to be replaced. Better to do this proactively by at least checking the brush wear and cleaning out the shorting dust. If it looks good just clean it and slap it back together for another 1/2-1 season or so. Having a short lifetime backup motor with a new one in the plow is a good position to be in.

3. gunsworth

gunsworth Senior Member

thats a good idea, is this about the life expectancy of these motors? I will clean it out and hope to make it through the season, and get it rebuilt over the summer.

I have been dealing with this for a while and waiting for it to progressively get worse but it hasnt really which I thought was weird

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Does it seem to be specific to one angle direction, or either?

5. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

I had my electric motor burn out on me last week with about 6 years of use on it. Your's is probably getting close. I've also been having issues with side-to-side angling freezing up and I could never get the blade to only drop a few inches from the fully raised position: it always made it most of the way down before the hydraulics would catch it even if I only pushed the controller forward for a tiny fraction of a second.

This afternoon I completely dismantled the hydraulic power unit and the red control valve block. I removed everything that can possibly be removed, cleaned each piece carefully with paper towels, sprayed them out with brake cleaner, blew it dry with compressed air, and reassembled the whole thing. I was surprised to find as much crud in the reservoir canister as I did since I just changed fluid recently. After wiping out the reservoir with a paper towel and cleaning the pump, I also wiped the metal shavings off of the magnetic drain plug and reinstalled it with teflon tape.

Once I got it all back together and filled with fluid, the plow moves faster than ever. Up, down, left, right all go much quicker than before and I can now drop the plow only 2 inches before catching it again. The valves are obviously reacting quicker and allowing full flow plus the electric motor doesn't have to work as hard to overcome partially blocked valves. Overall, it was 4 hours very well spent and I have much more confidence that the plow won't crap out on me again when I'm in the middle of a job! I would strongly recommend that you give your plow the same treatment. A simple oil change just isn't enough on a 5 year old plow.

6. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

You shouldnt need sealer on the drain plug, and you shouldnt use teflon tape on anything on the plow. Small pieces can break off and cause problems.

7. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

aeronutt,
    good wrightup.
    Any suggestions on dissassembly/reassembly things to watch out for, tightening etc...?

8. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

The only gotcha to watch out for on reassembly is not to over torque the nuts that hold the magnet coils in place. They only need enough to keep them in place so you can't turn the magnets by hand. Make sure you get the wires back on the right coils too.

9. gunsworth

gunsworth Senior Member

Both seem to do the same thing, up down is fine. It is just weird to me that it will work fine under load if not in float. make me think it is electrical not the typical clogged valves and such....

I always have some buildup when I change the fluid, maybe all the buildup I havent gotten out of the valves and whatnot needs to be cleaned. Real worried about this 12inches coming tomorrow, too close to a storm for me to rip into it

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Check amp draw on the motor and if it's ok I'd suspect debris or a damaged spool in the angle valve. It doesn't take much of either to cause the spool to get tight in it's bore thus the coils have a tough time fully shifting the spool. This is why you'll get a delayed reaction and slow operation and often only under a load, because there's greater hydro pressure behind the valve with a snow load against the moldboard. Same reason bumping it up briefly helps, the hydro pressure (now from the opposite side) helps break the spool free therefore it will work again...if only briefly.

11. gunsworth

gunsworth Senior Member

Ok well, MY valve was very loose, could move it by hand, so I pulled it off sprayed it with brake cleaner and air gunned it. I tightened it back up put on the coils. Plow seem much snappier and did a quick test in a unplowed lot nearby and it seems to be good, gonna cross my fingers for this storm

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Although that isn't too common, a loose one will mimic the same symptoms as a damaged one. You got it. Thumbs Up

13. gunsworth

gunsworth Senior Member

Thank god, was about to go buy a new valve just to have on hand (still might do that, figure its gotta go at some point and it will likely be at 4am)

Im gonna leave the motor be for now, it still seems to pull just fine, I may pull it to inspect it at the end of the season, I feel that it should have plenty of life left though.

Thanks for all the insight though, feel silly for posting this now, when it was such a simple problem...

14. gunsworth

gunsworth Senior Member

Well it didnt entirely fix it, it was slightly better for the first hour or so, but its back to hesitating again. I am just gonna replace the valve, figure its gonna need to be done at some point. If it lasts another 5 years I am good with that, this wont be my primary plow for too much longer anyways

15. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

If it was only "slightly better" after dismantling, cleaning, and reassembling the valve then you are probably not fixing the right thing by replacing a valve. Did you completely dismantle and clean the entire red block and pump unit like I described above? Did you refill with fresh BOSS fluid?