1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another 'slick' Ebay plowtruck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JohnnyU, Nov 4, 2003.

1. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

2. David Smith

David Smith Member

Like the dump-bed, but the price is a little hiogh for the year and condition, miles, etc.

3. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

I think that truck has seen better days. It says that the guy has been using it to scrape gravel from his driveway. The body is pretty rough too.

It is a pretty good setup though.

Jay

4. David Smith

David Smith Member

I bought an 84 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 this summer, in rough shape bodywise.
    Put $1500 in parts, replaced all body parts, and $3300 for a new plow setup, totalling $4800.
    Wonder if I spent too much on this truck, or should have bought a newer one?
    (new transfer case also, for only $341 !!)

I guess we'll see how it does once the snow falls huh :)

5. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

A 20 year old pickup? I think I'd pass.

6. David Smith

David Smith Member

With my budget, a $35,000+ new truck was out of the question, so a 20 year old truck will have to work for me!

7. flatbed

flatbed Member

the guy should check the year on that truck....85 has 4 stacked head lights....at least my wifes did...... that looks more like an 80-81 model.......somebody could still make money with it.....

8. wyldman

wyldman Member

They had both headlight styles for numerous years.It is probably still an 85.

Not a bad truck for a beater,but the price is a little high.

9. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

It seems kinda old to be a main plow truck/ work truck. i would use it as a back up truck. I looks like a pretty strong truck with some life left in it

10. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

Dont under estimate older trucks.I have 79 F-350 4x4 dump that is one of my best plow trucks and it still goes out mostly everyday towing a stump grinder or hauling wood.

11. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

sounds like you got a real nice truck, a 79 that works as hard as the new ones:)

12. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

An 85 is tool old to be a main plow/work truck but a 79 works as hard as the new ones. Well, thanks for clearing things up. Make up your mind meyer!

One of my friends still uses a 1972 Chevy C10 pickup to plow his parking lot and it's in mint shape. I wouldn't talk about old trucks if you don't know what condition they're in. There's plenty of old trucks around from the 70's still plowing, the 4 spds, 350's and solid axles (unlike the newer gm's) are hard to kill and are very common to find.

Bryan

56250195zqmvuf_ph.jpg

13. Joe92GT

Joe92GT Member

341 for a new transfer case??

I'm sorry :(

The best thing about these trucks is the abundance of parts.. I blew my trans and transfer case again, and got a th400 auto and transfer case for 300... with converter

I picked up a manual trans before I went auto for 75 with a transfer case.. I happen to have an extra transfer case sitting outside...... I just stripped an 91 suburban on monday (most parts interchange), and I baught an 86 for parts... with another transfer case :)...

I love my truck.. its an 85, and I plowed every storm last year. This year I got an 8.6 western unimount to replace the fisher. It is not to old to be a main plow truck.

14. griffithtlc

griffithtlc Senior Member

That Chev is in incredible shape! It's funny he plows with such a "collector's" truck. We've got high hopes for the 80 chev this year, it just got a new paint job, and so did the plow:D

15. David Smith

David Smith Member

Yes, $341
    Considering a new transfer case sells for around $1,000 typically, I think I got a heck of a deal (not a used one from someone else)

16. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

I think there have been some very valid points made in defense of the old trucks. If someone is starting out with an older truck that they have fixed up and made reliable, then I say give them a thumbs up.

17. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

David

I think $341 is a heck of a deal. I've heard of a cv joint costing more to rebuild.

I noticed you live in Jackson. Thats not too far from Brighton.

18. flatbed

flatbed Member

check out the motor on the ebay truck looks like rust on the spark plugs......a truck like that here would go for $2500 here.....we have no emission checks here so we get lots of older trucks running around........since my truck is payed for if i make money with it it goes in my pocket.......

19. wyldman

wyldman Member

I prefer the older trucks over a new one.The abundance of parts,they are very easy to work on,and it doesn't hurt so much when a driver cracks on up,make it a no brainer.If properly built,they are more reliable than the newer stuff,and when they do break down,they can usually be fixed right on the side of the road with basic hand tools.

20. David Smith

David Smith Member

I agree completely. I almost opted to finance a newer truck, but since I have a preference for older trucks, and of course, the price differences, I opted for the older model(s).
    I love than I can actually climb into the engine bay (it helps that I am 5'10 and 170lbs :)

I have 3 engine blocks in the garage waiting for "action", and enough spare parts to build another truck or two. I actually get people giving older trucks to me, or selling them to me for less than $100.

77-84 is where it's at for me personally :)

David