1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another sidewalk question.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Bossman 92, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

I was asked to bid on some sidewalks and not sure how long it will take. They measure almost 600' long and 10' wide. There's no way I could get a truck with a plow down them, and we don't have a quad with a blade.

I think my only option is a snow blower :cry: and wondered how long it should take on a average 3" snowfall. We only have a couple small toro blowers now, but if I get this we would look into larger toro blowers. What size would you reccomend?

Thanks Bossman

2. Weeded!

Weeded! Member

How about a skid steer or compact loader with a plow?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  3. Bossman 92

I don't have either. It's for a bank and the bank is located downtown. The snow would have to be blown onto the edge of the street, then cleaned up and pushed into their additional lot across the street. Every 20' or so there is a tree planted, or a tall up right planter, so there are a few obsticles. Our average snowfall is only a few inches, but every year we seem it get pounded with a foot or more at least once, and that's what scares me.

Over the past few years I have watched the guy clear them, and he uses a Turf Teq style broom.

How well would a quad with a plow on the front work? A good friend of mine(also works for me) has a quad, and I am sure if I bought a blade for it he would let us use it.

Bossman

4. Weeded!

Weeded! Member

I have seen quads work great. You still need some help in the detail areas such as around the planters.

5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

You should be able to clear them with a 30" blower in 30 minutes. No need for all the expensive equipment. I have seen my guy SHOVEL 500' X 3' because he said it is faster then the blower.

6. Bossman 92

What would you guys charge for somthing like this? Most of my walks are 3' or 4' wide and only 100' long. This big of a sidewalk is a new game for me. I already talked to the bank manager and we will get the contract for this (full service) as long as we are in the same ball park with the walks pricing (they already have my pricing for salting and plowing).

Thanks Bossman

7. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

we use a quad on 500'+ and it works great, but it seems the guys are always breaking it and ***** that it isn't enclosed.

the large pusher shovels make quick work of light snow.

don't get a 2 stage blower, they are slow, hard to maneuver and really don't like light snow or snow less than 3". get the larger single stage toro blower, the paddles sweep the sidewalk clean (you use a lot less salt) and you can maneuver them very easy. they are very fast too, just lift up on the handle putting more pressure on the paddles and you end up jogging behind them.

can't say enough good about them, just don't leave them in the back of your pickup without locking them down:cry: and covering the carb intake so it doesn't suck in snow(that will freeze them up)

8. Grn Mtn

what is your times cost? it should take you about 20-30 minutes as mentioned before with a single stage blower. I needed to make $100 per hour to stay profitable so I would charge around $50-$60.

9. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

The problem with larger sites is you can't charge X times the small site. A 3'X100' sidewalk I would want at least $30 but 10'X500 your not going to get 15 times the small one. You have to put a fair price to it even if it seems cheap.

I just lost salting 3 buildings. I wasn't even close. They were all with in 1000' of each other and had the same owner so he got a real deal. They could all be done with 1500lbs of salt.

10. Bossman 92

Alright guys thanks! Thats my problem, I get $30 all day long for 3' X 100' sidewalks and I just knew there's no way I could get big money for walks that were 15x that size.

I think I'll turn somthing in near the $60 to $70 area, as they felt my price for everything else was very good.

Thanks Bossman

11. JayD2

JayD2 Senior Member

I'm not sure I follow this.....A single stage TORO blower only clears from 18" - 21" with their biggest one which is the Power Clear 421Q. It throws up to 35 feet so they say but usually don't throw that far.

So have you thought about how many passes you would have to make with one of these? I don't see how you can do this in 20 - 30 min... I could be wrong, but I just don see it. You know you will have lots of wind too and if you can only throw the snow in direction, it could be a while..

12. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Toro used to make a 24" model. Quite heavy but you can move it around quite quickly. You could do that in 6 passes and the paddles clear really well. You would need to walk a total of 3000' so you should be able to do it in 30 minutes.

13. Grn Mtn

6 passes, 3 minutes per pass, thats 18 minutes, plus some clean-up time, voilà 20-30 minutes - of course I thought this out, thats what I do:D

its all about the speed, I would practically run behind mine. the faster you put snow into it the farther the snow will fly, 4" of powder will go 30', 1" of slush your lucky to get 5'.

before you make your pass you adjust the shoot, the windier it is the lower the blow angle, so thats not really an issue.

it sounds like this property will have more than one person at it so you can run 2 20" blowers (thats still the same price as one commercial 2 stage) and bang it out quick, but I don't think 30 minutes is unrealistic, you'll be in shape thats for sure.

14. JayD2

JayD2 Senior Member

Well.....I said I could be wrong LOL......I will pay more attention when I see some one using one. Heck, if they are that good, maybe I'll trade my Toro Power Max 1028XE for a couple of these...Your never to old to learn something new...

15. Grn Mtn

So I put my business on hold for a couple of years while my kids are still young (I stay home and watch them) this meant turning in my truck and selling my equipment, we'll I live on the corner of a busy street and the town plow hammers my driveway with 2-4' drifts so I bought a 2 stage blower to take care of that crap.

well a friend found out I wasn't working so he asks me if I can come on board for the winters and he provides me with a truck and plow. I'm so glad he does because it turns out I HATE 2 stage blowers, I miss the maneuverability of my little toro (ccr2240 I think it was)

16. JayD2

JayD2 Senior Member

Don't you just hate when the street plows do that to your drive way.....

17. Grn Mtn

honestly it doesn't bother me, then again, were in the biz and can do something about it.

18. alwayz-plowin

alwayz-plowin Senior Member

Has anyone ever used one of those HUGE Airens or Craftsman self propelled with a sulkey behind it????
    that might work right?
    If you clean the sidewalk good/ salt it ice shouldnt be a problem

19. Grn Mtn

yes that would work, but that thing is like 6k or something ridiculous like that, plus since it uses metal you don't get clean to the concrete. I still vote small and speedy with least amount of cost up front and major savings in deicer down the road, win win.

20. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I think the Toro you mean is the CCR2450. The more powerful one was the 3650. Last year they had 6 new 2450's at Home Depot for $549. That's good for Canada. I bought one and the next day went back to get a second one, they were all gone at it was only September. This year they have a small 18" Toro and the 20" are the Yardman's. They look like junk.

The Toro is great to have in the back of the truck just for emergencies. They only weigh 75lbs.