1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another seasonal question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Dan Schulte, Oct 27, 2002.

1. Dan Schulte

Dan Schulte Junior Member

Hey guys. We currently do only commercial and all on a per push, per depth basis. I need to diversify somewhat to guarantee cash flow. Never did a seasonal bid and went through all of the searchs without much luck on details. Doing a retail site at 350,000 sq. feet, fairly level and a couple of islands. Wants a bid on snow removal and saltings for the year. How do you determine the average number of pushes, the average snow depths and the average number of saltings? Cant find anything on line and need to get this bid done ASAP. Any help would be appreciated.

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

my opinion is its probably over your head if your looking on the internet for ideas on plowing averages in your area.......for sites like that you need to have your own figures and averages if you dont ,and make a mistake and do get the account you could have results that are not so forgiving to your reputation let alone your pocket book.

I just average the amount of plowing i have done in the past(10 years) and the average in my area is 15 plowable events at 2"
  3. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

4. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

The easiest way to CYA is to give limits either on total snowfall, or the number of storms you will plow. After that you go back to a per push price. If you were to factor every variable into the bid the price would not be in with the market value.
    If they are willing to sign a 3 yr or more contract that it should all average out over the life of the contract.
    I take my price per storm and then multiple that number by the average number of times a season we will have to service the property, add a profit margin( we do 45% but you can use what works for you), and submit as a seasonal price.This works for us, it may not work for others.
  5. Dan Schulte

Ceaman and Plowking35 - thanks for the information. Weatherbase is perfect for averages over the past 30 years. About being in over my head looking for averages on the internet where else do you find it? I found this site on the web and have learned more than I could have hoped for. Thanks again for the inf - going to see the customer right now.
  6. Big Todd

Big Todd Senior Member

Hey Dan, hope that worked out for you.

I've been plowing in west Mich. for nearly 10 years and no matter if it is a "good" winter or a "bad" one, we will plow about 18 to 23 times in a season regardless.

So, for example, say I would charge $100 per push on an account, I would simply multiply $100 times 20 pushes and you have $2000 for the season. This formula seems to work out well for us.

The other thing to think about is this: some accounts will need more attention (ie: more times out to plow) than ohers. For example again: We have one account that pays seasonal that is locked up tighter than a drum from about 2am on Saturday til 5am Sunday plus Holidays. I think we did them 16 or 17 times. Then there is an apartment complex that we plow during the night and then come back during the day to do clean up. We hit them about 24 times. Incidentally the both pay about the same amount, but it all works out in the end. At least that's what you hope for.
  7. Dan Schulte

Big Todd - hey in Grand Rapids. Used to run the Guardian Alarm office there and in K Zoo for 3 or 4 years. Great town and good hockey. I figured on 20 pushes and 25 spreads at 2-4 inches per push. Manager blew me off but have an appointment on Wednesday. Guy last year did the 350,000 sq. feet at $400 per push no matter how deep. I almost choked as I fell out of my chair when I heard that! Of course it took him 8-9 hours and his insurance was cancelled mid year but what the heck right? I think I can get this guy because Im in good with the district manager and I just got their lawns for 3-5 years at 75% higher than last years guy. Of course their lawn looks like crap and the mulch beds have weeds taller than the pines but once again what the heck? Will make a fortune on spring clean up and mulch bed renovations. Thanks for the reply.