1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another Salt on Concrete Q????????

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Lawn Care Plus, Mar 9, 2007.

1. Lawn Care Plus

Lawn Care Plus Senior Member

Ok, here is another question for you all.

Have you ever seen water softener salt, large grainular size literally cause 3-5" chunks of top layer to flake completely off of the concrete??

If not what would cause such a thing. I have never seen this before in my life and the owner is claiming that I (the salt) am the cause?

Tim

2. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I do not know anyone that uses that type of salt myself.

That type of salt is compressed product. Sitting on the pavement dissolving I can see leaving a ring of about 6 inch in diameter per pellet.

Is it all over the drive?
    Is there any residue left on the broken pieces?
    Is it all over the drive in spotted areas like salt would have been spread?
    How old is the concrete?

That is a pretty harsh salt for concrete I suppose it could happen. Any of his neighbors have the same problem?
    Sometimes when the development is built they will do a bunch of drives on the same day when building the houses and if it is normal wear maybe a few of the houses around have the same thing. If not get ready for a claim for re-surfacing.

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Crappy concrete. Water softener salt is the same salt as rock salt, just different size granules and maybe more dirt in the rock salt, other than that it's all NaCl.

Not sure what compressed product means?? It comes out of the salt mine the same way, they don't turn it into brine and then turn it back into a solid and compress it.

The salt 'caused' it because of freeze\thaw, but not because the salt actually harms concrete. They had crappy concrete installed, it'll be up to what your contract states as who pays for it.

4. jbrow1

jbrow1 Member

How old is the concrete?

5. Lawn Care Plus

I don't know how old the concrete is. there are spots where nothing happened and spots where it did. I also want to go back and see if there are spots where the concrete was cracking just under ice with no salt. This is the only site that this is happening on. I have 14 total sites that I service. You cannot even tell that anything was put down accept the drying marks.

The thing is, Ice melt has salt in it also, so anything that would or could be put down would have done this.

And, I don't think that one or two app's would do it alone. But I think it is definetely a bad concrete job. I am trying to get ahold of a concrete guy that I know and have him take a look at it.

This guy is going to try to get me to pay to have this drive and walk redone, so I need all of the ammo I can get my hands on.

Tim

6. MrBigStuff

MrBigStuff Senior Member
    from Boston

7. brockh

brockh Junior Member
    from PA

FACT= water softener salt tablets WILL cause divits in concrete. It doesn't matter if the concrete is new, old, or in between its going to divit. The reason that the smaller grainular stuff doesn't mess up concrete is 1 the grain size itself is small so there is little to no divit left behind 2 it disolves quickly and salt dust is usually left behind. The large tablets don't disolve and disapate letting them settle directly on the concrete itself and salt is concrete's kryptonite. we had someone use the same stuff on fairly new concrete and it ruined what was a nice smooth concrete helipad

8. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I have watched a show on TLC about salt. Most salt for water conditioners is a compressed pellet.

Maybe you buy some really cheap stuff for yours but from what I have understood about salt specifically for water conditioners is what I said.

9. Mark Oomkes

Care to back this 'FACT' up with some research? Like I said, bulk rock salt is NaCl, water softener salt is NaCl. Salt does not physically attack\harm concrete. FACT. The freeze\thaw\refreeze cycle is what causes damage on either poor quality or newer concrete.

10. 1sthippy

1sthippy Member

Samples

LCP, Try and get a piece or two of the broken concrete. If this was from a bad batch and you have it tested, it might be your ace card to cover yourself. PM me if you would like more info. Hippy.

11. Lawn Care Plus

I would think that if it is the freeze-thaw-refreeze cycle that causes issues, and it makes sense, ei tar roofs for the example=same thing, then ice melt would do the same thing and even worse, since they have the actual heat-up reaction element involved.

Tim

12. brockh

brockh Junior Member
    from PA

funny how it divits where the salt tablets STILL WERE....but i guess it could have been coincidence(right) its been prooven time and time again salt DOES affect concrete....consult a real concrete expert maybe he could set ya straight...ask him if he throws an excessive amount of salt on his sidewalks

13. Lawn Care Plus

Divits is one thing, but scabbing of layers is quite another.

I have seen a side walk with 30+ years of salt with "Divits" but never pealing of the top layer.

Tim

14. GTMS

GTMS Senior Member

First of all let me say that I am NOT trying to start anything. I think anyone who has been doing this long enough, knows better than to use salt on concrete, (Sorry Tim, not insulting you buddy) and all of us have seen the damage caused by salt popping the cream off the top of concrete down to the aggregate. There is no denying it. The application of salt on concrete will damage the concrete regardless of by what mechanism it achieves such damage. And the guy that wrote this article should be in politics. In one paragraph he states the above quote and in the next he says,
    "Concrete Spalling Comparison Study

The National Research Council's Strategic Highway Research Program tested deicing salts to see how they would etch and destroy concrete. The tests were interesting. It appears that magnesium chloride did the least amount of damage. Calcium chloride caused 26 times more damage to the concrete than magnesium chloride. Regular rock salt, sodium chloride, caused an astonishing 63 times more damage. If the tests were accurate, it appears that it may be worth the extra money to purchase and use magnesium chloride.

Tim, why don't you post a few pics of you problem for us to view.
    Jason

15. Mark Oomkes

I have a salt storage bin made out of 'mafia' blocks. Salt has been stored against these blocks for over 8 years now. None are flaking, none are spalling, none are showing divits. Never has any freeze\thaw cycles either.

Guess I don't know much. Been in the business for 20+ years, and we apply salt to concrete everytime it snows. Loading docks, pads poured in front of loading docks, heck we have a customer that has a couple acres of concrete for outside storage that we apply salt to everytime it snows. No damage, no spalling, no divits, no problems.

If calcium is so harmful to concrete, why do they mix CaCl with concrete to help it cure in the winter?

Properly prepared and cured concrete will not be damaged by salt. Fact. If you are having problems with this, either the concrete was crap and\or the installer didn't\doesn't know what he is doing.

16. Lawn Care Plus

Ok, Here come a slew of photos that I have taken and resized.

The square insets is an area that there was no salt, only ice and snow but the same effect as where there was salt.

There is a shot of where I left salt after I swept the slab, and the salt is still there with no effect.

There is are shots of sidewalks with salt and no effects except stains.

Let me know what you all think.

Thank you very much everyone.

Photos of the problem first.

Tim

CementProb1.jpg

CementProb2.jpg

CementProb3.jpg

CementProb4.jpg

CementProb5.jpg

17. Lawn Care Plus

More problem photos. The first photo here I adjusted as it was washed out. The color is not the color of the cement as seen by the human eye in the daylight.

Tim

CementProb6.jpg

CementProb7.jpg

CementProb8.jpg

CementProb9.jpg

CementProb10.jpg

18. Lawn Care Plus

Here are more problem photos.

Tim

CementProb11.jpg

CementProb12.jpg

CementProb13.jpg

19. Lawn Care Plus

Here are photos where the same thing is happening to the slab, but there was no salt in the area.

One friend said that the salt would leech, but I am not sure if it does how far the effect would go. I think that the salt stains would indicate how far it would leech and have effect, but I could be wrong.

Tim

NoSaltVert1.jpg

NoSaltVert2.jpg

NoSaltVert3.jpg

NoSaltVert4.jpg

SidewalkSaltNoProb7.jpg

20. Lawn Care Plus

Here are photos of sidewalk with salt but not the problems.

Tim

Sidewalk2SaltNoProb1.jpg

SidewalkSaltNoProb2.jpg

SidewalkSaltNoProb3.jpg

SidewalkSaltNoProb4.jpg

SidewalkSaltNoProb6.jpg