1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another Sad Story: Ripped Off By Dirtbag

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by WNY PAT, Jan 7, 2003.

1. WNY PAT

WNY PAT Member

At work today..... a woman asks me if I plow regular driveways... I tell her yes.... she asks if I 'll add her mother to my list... she lives too far away so I have to decline. She tells me about a guy who showed up in the fall and offered to do the drive for the ENTIRE season... guess how much.... come on... guess.... OK... ready.... $115!!!!! I get 2X that for most drives for the season..... anyway... the guy hasn't shown up since out X-Mas day storm.... apparently his truck isn't working and he doesn't have the $$$ to get it fixed. Sad.... so sad.....

2. OffRoadPlow

OffRoadPlow Senior Member

Bad enough they low bid....

But then did not have the professionalism to sub it out, what a crock. They should tell him to get a shovel and start the manual plow going. That is another good thing about this forum, you can sometimes find a sub if you need one when in a pinch.

3. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

Hey Pat where is this driveway located ???

4. WNY PAT

WNY PAT Member

It's In...

Lockport.... small drive.... 1.5 cars... straight... but has to be backdragged.... very nice family... I'm sure would be great customers.... let me know if it is in your area... I'll pass your name and number along if you'd like....

5. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Would this be the same group of people who live off of Tonawanda creek RD. & Transit, I'm tring to get ahold of to refer to Earthscapes? Becasue the guy never showed up?

He charged the people I'm friends with a bit more then that but still extremely low. This guy also mowed thier lawn durring the summmer & did a decent job so thay figured he was just cutting them a deal. They knew the price was cheep but didnt think he would stiff them like this. I guess it just goes to show you get what you pay for. Both the customer & the contractor. Odviously thay are looking for someone else this summer also... He cashed the checks & it now in hiding. Odviously thay know who this guy is, so at least thay can go after him for a full refund.

This is truly an example of how you need to be prepared for any and all breakdowns & have a cash reserve enough to fix anything.
    Charge the right ammount and you wont have a problem with that.

Were tring to make Earthscapes look like the hero here.... :D :waving:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2003
  6. WNY PAT

WNY PAT Member

Sounds Familiar

Yes... the guy did lawns on this person's street..... must be the same person. FYI... the daughter got a call from the Lockport City Police today asking her to please come down and give a statement and also to file a small claims court case... I guess if they get enough people to do this they can arrest the guy.... I hope they do.... unfortunately... the $$$ is long gone I'm sure.... and Grass.... I sent you an e-mail..... good to see another S. Niagara County plower here.... gives me faith.....

7. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Yep, I heard that want to arrest the guy & file a class action against this bozo.
    Ahh. I'm sure thay can sell off his assets. I'm sure he's a sole prop. So thay can take pretty much anything he owns.

Actually I work in Amherst & Clarence. Next year one of us sould go into N. Amherst & S. lockport & pick up where no one goes.
    If I do add another truck next year I'll prolly take on work in Willyville & W. Amherst. where I always seem to get calls about. But thats all depending on weather I can find experienced helpers that wont break everything like Kieth's guy... lol
    :drinkup:

8. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

I hope they get the guy, we don't need guys like that giving our industry a bad name.

9. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

This is Buffalo we are used to bad press, do a search on "buffalo media"
    This guy screwed up so bad it's actually helping us, by making the customers aware of "your get what you pay for" hopefully this guy gets what he has coming to him & everyone knows...
    Am I worried about some moron giving us all a bad name? No... Untill it makes it to the press... But even if it does my customers are extremely happy with the level of service I provide & refer me to all thier friends...

Makes people realize there are the idiots out there, but there are also the guys who are reliable... Guys like this don't turn people away from a plow service as everyone wants/needs someone but instead makes them think about what one to hire, And that most often the least expensive guy isnt always the best & most reliable.