1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another question.... sand??

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by chtucker, Jan 21, 2003.

1. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Are there any receiver mounted spreaders that will run sand/salt mix?

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

The Western Pro-Flo 2 or the Fisher Speedcaster 2 (it's twin),will throw sand just fine.Air-Flo also makes a smaller stainless one too,but it's not a reciever mount,you would have to make one.

The reciever mount for the Pro-Flo 2 is a complete new hitch assy,that replaces your trailer hitch,and the spreader attaches to it on either side.It still incorporates a Class 3 hitch.It was an expensive option,you may be able to fab one up and save some $$.

3. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I have the fisher one and it works fine you just can't load it up in the morning then sand latter that day it packs down very good.Bat as far as puting sand/salt mix in and sanding it works great spreads just as goos as the big gas spreaders.I like the electric no noise and and you never run out of gas.lol

4. chris k

chris k Senior Member

Cat320-

When it packs in there does your belt not work. I have the Fisher Speedcaster2, the other day we went out in the morning so I filled it up with the sandd/salt mix. I only used about 1/4 of the sand. I went to go out later that night and the belt would not work. I had to empty half of the sand out in order for the thing to work again.
    I thought the belt was tight enough.

5. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Chris that is what happened to me the belt would not go and i had to dump half out.Then the belt gets loose so you have to go and tighten it back up that what happen to me when i first got it a few yaers ago.Now what i do is fill it half way or try to pack the sides high and if i need more i just fill trash barrels up or come back to my yard and re-fill.But I will not ever fill it up unless i'm useing at the same place I fill it.But it does work good my buddy has an airflow and his broke down we used mine and you would never know the difference as far as the spread of it.How long have you had yours first season ?

6. chris k

chris k Senior Member

Yah first season. I have used it quite a bit and the only other time I had a problem was our very first storm back in Nov. The belt was real loose. I just assumed that when it was installed that they would tighten everything...I was wrong. Went to my first lot all pumped that I no longer had to hand sand this thing (about 15000 sqft), fired up the sander and nothing happened. I had to empty the whole thing out and tighten the belt.
    Since then I have always filled the thing to the rim with the sand/salt mix and never had a problem until last week. I will check the belt again. Thanks.