1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

another question for B&B or who ever can help.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by juspayme, Jan 27, 2009.

1. juspayme

juspayme Senior Member

i have this 89 chevy 1500 short bed step side. i know its not the plow truck of the century, however it is nice to use on very small lots. i have a 91 chevy 3500 also.

as not to insult anyones intelegence, the brakes on the 89 suck bad compared to the one ton. anyone whos had those 88 89 90 chevy 1500's will tell you the brakes are crap.

i went to bigger rotors last year, really no help. is there any company who makes big ass brakes or is there any sugesstions somebody can advise me to do to get the stoping power i want.

thanks in advance.ussmileyflag

2. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

You can put larger wheel cylinders in the back.

3. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

I Have fixed quite a few of them trucks with a larger brake booster.

4. Lencodude

Lencodude Senior Member

I agree my 88 sucks sometimes at braking and feels like a sponge at times.

5. Lencodude

Lencodude Senior Member

Larger brake booster from what year of truck!

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Your not alone. Many guys were never satisfied with the brakes on the late 80's/early 90's trucks...especially once they've accumulated some miles.

Number one most common thing is the rear brakes are out of adjustment due to worn/rusty hardware. Simply manually adjusting them will make a very noticeable improvement in the braking performance in 75% of the cases.

Second thing is to disconnect the electrical connector from the dump valve in the rear brake line. You'll never know it's disconnected but will help in brake performance.

Have run across a few that even with these few procedures the brakes still wasn't what they should be. In those cases swapping in the larger wheel cylinders (there's two different choices for these years of trucks) helps a great deal...and if you want the maximum brake performance possible on a budget, swap to a master cylinder and booster from an 8600 GVWR 3/4 ton truck. You'll have all the brakes you can handle then. ;)

7. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Learn to use your Emergency brake every time you park... (1) It will keep your cable from freezing up... (2) It helps to keep your brakes adjusted.... It's not hard to do !!!! Just push the pedal down,Pull the lever to release... I do it all the time NO brake issues...

8. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

The last one I fixed It had options from the parts store Depending on the brake code in the glovebox. We went with the larger booster The truck had everything else done to it previously and nothing other then the larger booster helped. The truck was a 90 k1500.Let me know If I can help U any more.:salute:

9. juspayme

juspayme Senior Member

thaks guys ill work on it and let ya know
    ussmileyflag