1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another Problem with a Buyers! Go Figure!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by MahonLawnCare, Dec 16, 2008.

1. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

So trying to save money like an idiot, I bought a used Buyers Salt spreader. When we hooked up the "new" control box I bought the variable speed didnt work. Then we rigged up our own toggle/push button control box. We put an inline fuse on it. The problem is anytime the motor is under a load with it hooked up the fuse blows..every freakin' time. I am almost 100% certain it is the motor. There has to be a short somewhere, right? Any thoughts or maybe I'm full of it but we troubleshooted everything and it has good ground etc., wires are all fine it's doesn't appear to be arcing)

2. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

what size fuse are you using?

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Not enough fuse? Tired motor? how many amps is the motor drawing?

4. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

And I was right...the motor blew last night...excellent...we were using 20 amp, 25,30 amp it blew them all and then before it went it even set a toggle switch on fire..

5. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

When you get the new motor installed, switch out the in-line fuse for a 35 amp spade self setting relay, this saves alot of headaches and fuses

6. timberseal

timberseal Senior Member
    from 46385

You using the buyers wiring harness? I ran 8 ga back to our buyers spreader and it works great.