1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another problem with 6.5TDs to watch for?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Mick, Aug 30, 2003.

1. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I talked to a guy the other night who said he'd had to replace his 6.5TD three times because of getting anti-freeze in the oil. Has anyone else run into this - is it common? Just what I needed - something else to worry about. If it is, is there anything I can do that may keep this from happening?

2. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

You would think after 2 times he would find the problem. While the 6.5 does not have the best rep out there it is not that prone to failure unless it's beaten and not maintained. But that would happen to anything. The injector pumps seem to be the biggest concern.

3. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I'm on my 3rd pump now have had really no other problem .I do have a little green wire that is hanging off from the block on the driver's side but there is alot of them ther alnog the block and the truck seams to be running good .

4. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

Rick, Thats a glow plug wire. Better plug it in before winter.

5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Mick,that is a veryu common problem. I have seen so many 6.5's replaced at my local dealer,most of them had under 10K when the motor went bad. I knopw of 3 of them that the head bolts have snapped off,by the time you know it, the oil is full of antifreeze,and the engine is gone.I wouldnt owrry about it,just drive it,if it goes deal with it. The early 24V cummins with the #53 blocks are known to crack,on the pass side between #4and #5 cylinder. If its going to happen you cant do anything about it.I didnt even bother to see if I have a #53 block, Its suck a small percentage of the trucks,its not worth getting worried over. Mick,if your 6.5 needs replacing I suggest a 12V Cummins swap.:D .

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Thanks, all. I guess I'll just start saving some nickels & dimes just in case.

7. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Mick by the time you have any problems with it you will be out looking for a new duramax because you want to have a set up like pelican :D

8. wyldman

wyldman Member

It is a common problem on some 6.5's.I wouldn't worry about it unless you really think you have a problem.An oil analysys would tell you what shape your motor's in.