1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

another pro wing ?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by willie dexter, Jan 18, 2009.

1. willie dexter

willie dexter Member

im getting ready to put a set of plow wings on. my cutting edge is about half used up but not ready to change yet. if i put the wings on now and fit the rubbers with the current cutting edge,will they use up before the steal cutting edge or just put new ones on when i change the blade edge? for even ware. also,i have not yet ordered them,is there a certain brand of pro wing thats better or are they all the same? and finally,best place to order them? thanks,willie
  2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

My plow was new in 07 and I just put wings on it this season so there was about a 1" difference between my steel cutting edge and the rubber edges on the wings.

I ended up taking a sawzall and cutting them down so that my plow would lay flat :cry: It was tough cutting up something I just spent $500 on but it had to be done.

And just to be clear, you can use many different saws to cut the rubber, I just happened to use a sawzall.
  3. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

it's best to put them on with a like new cutting edge ,so they will be at the right height the first time when you have to put a new edge on , i guess you can cut the rubber off most edge's are 6"wide new ,just figure the difference from the top of the edge to the center line of the carriage bolt to take that amount off the rubber off .:salute:
  4. Runner

Runner Senior Member

When first installing the whole wings, replace the wearbar, first. you want these things to be set right, so all the alignments are right.
  5. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

$500???? A bit high. You can buy just the rubber edges for the wings when you replace your blades cutting edge later.
  6. te snow

te snow Member

I agree completly. I would installed the rubber at the current height of the cutting edge. I'm not sure if this recommended but I was able to flip my rubber cutting edges 180 degrees, drill 2 new holes and use the other side (the new edge would be what used to be the top faceing out before). I've been having problems with the caridges bolts pulling throgh the poly but you might want to consider putting a half inch piece of steel across the 2 bolt heads to keep the carige bolts from pulling through. If you have this kind of time on your hands. I purchased the poly cutting edges for the wings and they seem to be lasting longer and haven't torn on me yet. Lastly I was able to purchase the same thickness rubber from McMaster Carr which and cut them down, but it was much cheaper then buying them from a plow parts store elsewhere.
  7. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

As I learned on a different forum, I don't have "pro wings"...I have "MVP Plus Blade Wings" :rolleyes:

Pro wings are junk and cost less whereas the MVP wings are also junk but cost more.
  8. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

WTF..u again! :eek: Ur right too. :nod:

FYI....I won't ban you this time :D