1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another private road bid

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by WILLD420, Dec 4, 2013.

1. WILLD420

WILLD420 Junior Member

I got asked to place a bid on a single lane paved road that is one mile long, that goes up a 12 percent grade for approximately .25 mile with a couple of real nasty switchbacks on it. The rest of the road isn't too bad, except the intersecting driveway that goes to the main house, which is only about 500 yards long. It ends in a circle driveway that I'm not sure I can even get my truck down without taking out all the brush on the roadway edges.

Since I had to go look at the road, and we got dumped on today, I ran the plow up and back to my satisfaction, with the exception of the circle driveway at the top. Took me about 45 minutes to make it look decent, but the switchbacks are so tight I have to plow all the snow to the outside edge, as my single cab truck can barely turn sharp enough to negotiate the corners.

I already have the lower mile of this road, and was asked by the upper property owner to put in a bid on the upper section since they can't find anyone else crazy enough to take the road on for a decent rate. The lower portion is narrower, but doesn't have switchbacks like upper section does.

Total plow time today was about 1.5 hours, but we had almost a foot of nasty wet cement on top of about one inch of ice from this mornings warm weather spell and since this was the first time plowing everything I was going pretty easy on stuff.

Should I bill the top half the same as the bottom, with a slight increase for the distance, or should I bill more for the added time and wear and tear for trying to snake my way up the side of a mountain on a one lane track? The bottom section of road is no picnic, as it's one lane most of the way with a drop off on one side and a big ditch on the other and lots broken up pavement on the bottom most 1/8 mile.

I'm probably billing less than most guys would consider, but my stuff is paid for and this is a side job for me when my real work isn't too busy. It's also only 3 miles from my house, so total travel time is only 7 minutes each way. Yes, I do have insurance and licensing...

BTW, no sanding or salting, they just want a drivable road to get up and down, they actually told me this evening that I did more plowing than they needed. They just want to be able to get down the road, and not have a giant sheet of ice to drive on after it thaws and freezes back up again and they want a 4" trigger.

2. Meezer

Meezer Senior Member
    from Indiana

Decent rate??? It sounds like they want someone really cheap....

3. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

We have some tight cul de sacs and turns and I wish my guys would understand to drop the back blade while going around those and it'd make life so much easier and cleaner........

4. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Sounds like a 250 road, top to bottom. It's not your fault they live up on pikes peak.

5. mtnzone

mtnzone Member

wow.......................$250 for a road with that much incline.. that is a tranny job waiting to happen and alot of wear on engine and frame. not to mention on slip up on one of those switch backs and your stuck or worse. I would bid it top doller and if you dont get it for that then say thank you..

6. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Well...he did it in 1.5 hours going slow and easy...I figure that after there's some banks and he feels more confident he can shave that down to 1 hour...So, I figured $250 for an hour was pretty good money. I'd use low range if the truck labored at all.
    Also, maybe I am wrong, but 12% grade isn't really that steep...But, I ride a skidder, so my steep and the rest of the world's steep might not be the same.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013