1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another Pricing Question

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Snow Rookie, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Snow Rookie

Snow Rookie Junior Member

Is pricing for parking lots and private roads figured the same per hour? How about driveways? Also i figured on spreading ice melter, I don't really know what to charge for that. Snow blowing sidewalks for side walks is stumping me also. If you dont want to say I understand just needing formulas. Thank Youussmileyflag
  2. pongow26

pongow26 Senior Member

I dont charge per hour so someone else can answer that one but as far as deicing goes one good way to deterine how much to charge is like this. Take the amount you have, break it down to ounces and then divide the pice by the number of ounces and you have your per ounce cost. Once oyu have a per ounce cost then determine your mark up price by multiplying your per ounce cost by 3. IE say you have a 5 lbs bag that costs $8.95( I know that is a very small bag but bare with me for example purposes)and there are 16 ounces in a pound so you have 80 ounces. 8.95/80 ounces is .11 an ounce. so once you mark that up at x3 multiple you have .33 an ounce so in a 5lbs bag you get $26.40 - $8.95=$17.45 in profit
  3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

we charge per push
  4. Snow Rookie

Snow Rookie Junior Member

How do you figure per push? Don't have to figure time first on something and have an hourly rate. I am getting Ice Melt Ewing for $7.00 for a 50# bag. Is that good or bad?
  5. pongow26

pongow26 Senior Member

I called around and got prices from others to keep myself competetive. As the year progressed I tracked my expenses and then figured how much I was spending vs making. Then you have a baseline to determine what you need to charge to be profitable. Once you know your base line of expenses you know your break even amount. Once you know your break even amount then you add 30% and that is your profit margin. If you are plowing for a business these are the things you need to find out. If you are plowing just to make some extra cash then just go with what others are charging. Don't lowball though because you never know when you may need a competitors help ad far as you break down and need their help to satisfy your customers or even a pull out of the ditch lol
  6. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Take the guesswork out of your bidding

If you want to gain confidence in your bidding, check out our snow package and include the know why you charge what you charge CD.

You will no longer be concerned about pricing the job right.

Snow & Ice Management Bidding Package Includes:

#1 Snow & Ice Management Manual – this is a comprehensive manual covering all aspects of snow & ice management for both residential and commercial accounts. Also includes application rates for many different deicing materials.

#2 Snow & Ice Management CD full of templates for contracts, route sheets, hours of operation sheets, Who’s first, proposal formats, don’t take the risk template for clients, sample invoices, sample marketing forms and much more. All these templates are in Microsoft Word format and are completely customizable to your business.

#3 Snow & Ice Management Quick Estimator CD – calculates per push, per event, hourly or season contracts. Also calculates material application rates for both granular and liquid applications for any deicing material that you may be using. This CD also calculates time and material for application of material, and hand labor as well. This CD runs in Microsoft Excel and is not software. You simply fill in the blanks and you have your estimate.

Go to www.profitsareus.com or call us at 800-845-0499 to order. Feel free to call us with any questions you might have as well. Being a full-service lawn & landscaping business myself since 1979, I know what a contractor is looking for; something simple, accurate and professional. This package is it.
  7. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

I figure out my prices by knowing what i need to make per hour, for commercial properties. But not residential. Say you need to make 100 an hour (not what i need to make but seems to be a popular number). If you needed 100 an hour, and someone wants a quote for their driveway and you think its going to take around 5 minutes to do, I am not going to only charge them five dollars. Driveways are bid much differently than commercial for me
  8. marinablue66

marinablue66 Junior Member
    from CT

Along the same lines as Jguck, you need to figure out how much you need to make a descent profit per hour IE: fuel, your time, anyone you would hire for sidewalks or another truck for lager lots, calculate costs for the truck, insurance etc.. We were getting $70/hr our truck, fuel, plow, and no salt spreder. Then you need to look at the parking lot and figure how long it is going to take you to plow, and do the sidewalks. Then you can break the cost down for dusting to 4 inches will be $$$ per push, 4-8inches = $$$$ per push and so on. For the material I'm not sure. As for the public roads at least out here those are all by the hour, right now the state pays depending on the GVW of the vehicle $65-$125/ hr.