1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

another post/question about Boss snowplows..

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Jguck25, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

I have been looking around everywhere for a boss v plow and it is getting really close to snow season around here.. So I have two plows that i am going to look at on friday this week. I need to know a little bit about the v plow that I am looking it.. Need to know reviews about it because for this particular model and year i have heard people have had troubles??
    The first plow i am going to look at is either a 2004 or 2005 boss Power-V 8'2" Poly. Have many other people had problems with the reliability and durability of these plows?(wings breaking, pivot points breaking..etc...) I know that this plow was not used a LOT, but was owned by a person how just owned a couple places like real estate properties and plowed those with it.
    Boss no longer makes this plow so I can find the specifications on it... and I would really like to know how much it weighs..

The Second plow that I am giong to look at is a 2007 Boss 9' straight blade. The plow has a brand new cutting edge and a rubber snowfoil. This makes my decision really hard because both plows are almost the same price, v plow is 200 more.

So basically
    First Question: How reliable is the 2004-2005 Boss Poly Power-V plow? (pictured below)

Second Question: This is going to have a lot of debate i know.. But here goes.. Which of these two plows will be more efficient? a v plow that is almost a foot shorter, or a straight blade that is almost a foot longer? I have read NUMEROUS threads about v plows being around 20-25 percent more efficient than a straightblade, but what about a straight blade that is a foot longer?

Third Question: Which plow is the better deal? Again, they are about 200 dollars different.

I know many people will say to just put wings on the v plow, which i plan on also, but not until i start getting some money coming in this winter because i am pushing my budget right now as it is.

I would actually rather have the v plow, just wish it was bigger. I do a mixture of residential and commercial, but mostly residential. so a v plow would be awesome i think

Thanks for the help guys, I just really want to make the right decision.

2. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Depends on your jobs.....if you do a lot of open lots and all you do push left or right then the longer plow will be more efficient. However if you need to move snow or stack, then the V can't be beat......

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Very nicely said Bltp203. I have never had a problem with any of the vee plows I have owned. Neither has my boss who has 3 of them. If you want a bigger vee, look for a 9'2". Right now you can still get wings for the poly vees. Everything else is exchangable between the steel vees and polys. So say you bend a a-frame, they can still get you one. I would say in another year or 2 you won't be able to get the poly wings because they are discontinued.
  4. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

I plow mostly driveways, with a few commercial places mixed in, but the commercial places are not very wide open.
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

the V will be more efficient
  6. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Get the V, no question, especially if you are doing residentals.
  7. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

If your in Chicago area I have a 8'2" v for sale. Pm me if interested.
  8. DaytonBioLawns

DaytonBioLawns Banned
    from 45458

I have a question for you, What kind of prices are they?

It really does matter, because most people looking for a starter plow or a "first" for that brand are misinformed on pricing. I can get N.O.S. 8'6" Steel V for $4300.

If you are doing driveways with that, you want smartlocks.

And FINALLY, have you looked at other manufacturers? Because Boss has the biggest following, and is the most "praised" plow, but a lot of it is hype. Most other plows are built very well now-a-days. I want a V, but I am going Meyer because of my needs and hopes of keeping it in service for longer. That is what works for me BTW, Boss could def. be the way to go.

Just think about how much you are going to save going used over new and let us know, maybe I can help critique your numbers.
  9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The Vee will be more effecant and more then make up for it's size in productivity. Check to see if it has Smart-Locks.

Weight wise they are slightly heavier then the steel (770lbs) since the differance in weight between the XT steel and XT poly is 10 lbs I think you would be safe in to say the unit you are considering is probably in the 780/785 lbs range. The 9 foot is 742lbs not that great a differance.

three years ago we sold every vee on the lot inculding my used unit (Kim sold it out from under me shortly before a storm LOL) so after 15 years of pushing a vee I spent some quality time with a straight blade it increased my plow route by HOURS. Once you go Vee you'll never be happy with a straight blade again.
  10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You are in New Hampshire, so big Nor-Easters can and will happen. Tough to beat a Vee for that application, opening up a drifted in driveway.

No question I would take the 8-2 Vee over the 9 fixed.

Also, in my experience, the most critical component of a Vee plow is the center hinge/pin configuration. If you compare the Boss hinge to a Douglas Dynamics plow (Fisher/Western) or Meyer, you will be done comparing very quickly. The Boss Vee has earned every bit of praise it receives.

Sno Way makes very good plows, but are difficult to locate in these parts.
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  11. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

No question in my mind at all.I've owned all the major plow brands over the years and can definitely state Boss IMHO is hands down the best,most reliable. About 12 years now on my 9-2,all original parts,no overhauls,just regular PM.Definitely get a V,well worth it.Something that hasn't been mentioned is if you engage your pile a little too aggressively[or not]in V mode,you can open the wings to help push you out of your ''slightly detained'' predicament.:rolleyes:
  12. RedsGarage25

RedsGarage25 Sponsor

I've been selling Boss for over 10 years now and IMHO the most reliable plows out there. I stay open 24 hours during storm to fix plows and rarely do I see any of Boss plows in my shop. Their hydraulics are hands down best in the business. As long as you give it some TLC then it should be fine. If you go with the V then you should find out if it comes with Smartlocks, its definitely something your going to want. It's a little more pricier then without but its worth every penny. GOOD LUCK!
  13. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

The reason that i am looking for a boss plow is because the truck that i am getting this plow for already has the truck side equipment and wireharnesses. Up until now, I have always been a fisher guy, my previous trucks have all been fishers and i have had great luck with them, although they have all been straight blades. This v plow does not have the smart locks...:cry: so i will probably be looking to buy some

After doing a LOT of research on V-plows, I have come to the conclusion that boss is the hands down favorite. I would really like to give boss a try. I actually did use a boss straight blade and Im not sure if it was just my imagination or not, but it did seem to be faster than the fisher plows i had been used to using. If i were to buy new i would be looking for either boss or fisher, but i alreday have this setup on the truck so boss it is.

I have looked to see the difference in pricing between new and used and it is quite a bit more for the current plow i am looking at. I actually was able to find specifications on this plow and it weighs 809 lbs. The current power-v steel is only 770.. this doesnt make sense because the current models of boss plows only vary like 10 pounds between steel and poly.. Maybe because this is an older model..
  14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Everybody has put their product on a weight loss program. It's been dictated by today's lighter trucks and stricter goverment interfe....uh...regulations. Today"s plows are more highly engineered then at anytime in history. The focus is on maintain integrity while getting as light as possible. DD have taken a lot of flack about the lighting the components of the Blizzard speedwing ( and wide-out/XLS) but they have managed to not only maintain but increase the number of allowable fits in the face of ever restrictive government regulations. Three is a much greater use of the space frame design concept (pioneered by snoway in their Lexan skinned plows) removing load from the skin of the moldboard allows use of thinner skins for weight savings with out sacrificing strength.

The point of the diatribe is; when Boss designed the XT I'm sure weight was a much greater concern then it was when they designed the Power-Vee.So essentially in the XT the structure to support the poly was designed into the steel model as well.
  15. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

I made my decision today and went with the boss v plow:drinkup: I love it, although i havent had a chance to plow snow with it yet. It does not have the smartlock cylinders and was wondering what the best place to get them at?
  16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

ESI Trucks is a sponsor here. Shipping won't be a big deal for a couple of cylinders.
  17. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

I second that.
  18. elecblu

elecblu Member

Although i agree with the point that smartlocks would make a significant difference while backdragging, I am not so sure I would reccomend spending the money outright without at least trying your new purchase for a while. You mentioned that budget was an issue in an earlier post. You made the right choice of a vee in your purchase. An upgrade to smartlocks can always be done after some cash flow comes in. I have 2 8'2'' v plow and neither have the smartlocks, been wanting to upgrade to them, just can't justify the expense when the current design gets the job done.
  19. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

That is actually what i am thinking about doing as of right now. Going to wait as long as i can before i get them because it will be an extra almost 600 dollars..

elecblu, do you do mostly residential or commercial?
  20. elecblu

elecblu Member

Mostly residential, only a few commercial.