1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Another post about loaders

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cutntrim, Sep 17, 2000.

1. cutntrim

cutntrim PlowSite.com - Veteran

We've been asked to bid on a large retail mall and we're gunning for two other fairly large commercials kitty-corner to the mall, plus another large lot a couple blocks up the street. IF we get them it seems like a perfect scenario for a loader w/pusher. In Iowastorm's post Lazer gave an estimate for leasing for the winter. What I'd like to know is roughly how many thousand square feet per hour will a loader with a box clear. Obviously the size of box and the amount of snow are important variables. So for arguement's sake how about a 16 footer in 6" of snow? Oh, and where should we check for leasing/renting? Equipment rental company plus construction companies? Anywhere else? Thanks.

2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Ah snowpushers are very productive. However i feel that plowing at 3" they are a lot more productive, not as much spillage. Don't get me wrong i push big numbers (inches) of snow, I have plowed as much as 11" of snow with a pick up once, at one lot.

Snow pushers productivity and stackablity far out weigh their few negatives. I don't have any numbers to give you for square feet per hour, there are just so many variables ( check pro tech web site).

JD 544 loader runs about $ 3777.00 a month from hertz.

Geoff

3. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

I can not give you square footage either but from what you said it sounds like a two or three loader scenario if you get all of those.

4. iowastorm

iowastorm Senior Member

We're in the same situation as you. IF we get the contracts we've bid on, we will eithet rent or purchase a wheel loader or two. I've been checking with the local CAT and CASE dealers about rentals. I'm not sure what your dealers will say in your area, but here the CAT dealer is requiring a minimum of a 4 month rental at about $3K per month depending on the machine size (924 up to 950). On the other hand, the CASE dealer has quoted me an hourly tach rate, with no restrictions. The only problem is that the CAT and CASE both are quoted with regular buckets, so I need to research the possibilities of the rentals with a blade or pro-tech a little more. At this point the hourly rate will be better, because there is a nice margin between the rate that we charge for the machine and the rate they quoted me. Hope this helps.

5. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I would suggest renting from a rental co, ie Nations rent, Hertz, ect. I think you get better rates from these companies.

I don't know for sure, only if your lot isn't huge. Maybe look into useing a backhoe to push your pusher. The rental rate on a back hoe is cheap. Not many people want to rent them any more, just because most people are using an exevator.

You can use a 12.5' pusher on a 4X4 backhoe, note a 12.5' will move 15 yards or snow. Also a cat 914 loader can use a 14.5' pusher, which will move 18' yards of snow. I don't think ya need to have a monster loader to have a pusher.

I also know the rental rates are less on smaller loader, and backhoes. From time to time i need a dozer, and when i do i got streight to Nations Rent or Hertz. Good prices, and quality service, and if i need it a resonable delivery fee.

Geoff

[Edited by GeoffDiamond on 09-18-2000 at 02:09 AM]

6. cutntrim

cutntrim PlowSite.com - Veteran

Thanks for the input guys. We're going to ask the property management company for the square footage of the mall tomorrow. That should help as far as what type machine(s) should be used. Geoff, I was thinking about backhoes as well, since I figured they'd be less money to rent and would still be much more productive than what we've got now...pickups.

7. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

Around here Iowa we have used 14 footers on our tractorhoes,our snow falls as you know are not quit as severe. Geoff I don't know why we do not have a local nation rent or hertz it seems a company called RSC has control of our area. they are very good and have taken very good care of us,see alot of adds for the other guy they are just not here yet.

8. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

Rental in the off-season is 1/2 rate from some companies.

Don't pay summer rates!